14

After the girls got a bath, the phone started to ring. "Can you get that!?" Ilse yelled, not very angry anymore.

          "Hello?" My voice husky and cracking. Is Ils there? Ilse's dad asked. "Ils! It's for you!" I yelled. She ran and slid on the floor, grabbing the phone from me.

          "Hello?" She asked. "No," she said her face falling and her eyes filling with tears. "Okay, thank you." She handed me the phone without hanging up. I hung it up for her and pulled her into a hug. She clutched my shirt in her fist and cried into my chest.

"M-m-my c-cat d-died." She sobbed. I stroked her hair. "I loved that cat so much, sometimes I even thought he loved me back." She looked up at me still clutching my shirt. Her eyes were damp and red.

I didn't know what to say to comfort her so I just picked her up and carried her to bed. She sobbed once as the tears stopped flowing. "I know it's not a very big deal." She said, her eyes red and swollen looked at me. I kissed her forehead and she laid down and pulled the covers up around her. I crawled behind her on top of the covers and wrapped my arms around her.

***

I woke up with Ilse on top of me. I kissed her lips to wake her up. She opened her swollen eyes and kissed me back. She rolled off of me and stared through the skylight in the ceiling. I got up and so did she. We walked out of our room together and saw that the girls were still napping.

She walked on to the porch in her shorts and her hair in a bun. I smiled to myself because she looked like the girl I met three years ago in the coffee shop. I grabbed her waist and made her dance with me. She started to burst out laughing. I chucked at her and smiled. Even though she didn't say it, I knew everything was going to be all right.

          "We should take a vacation, just me and you." She said, her arms still around my neck. I tilted my head and looked sideways at her.

          "Where do you suppose we go?" I asked. She let go and scratched her head, pacing around the wrap around porch.

"Maybe a road trip. We could go back to England..." she trailed off.

"Maybe not the best idea to go to England, love." She looked at me but didn't question. I sat down and she sat on my lap and we both looked at the mountains. She sighed and laid her head back on my chest.

"I think we are going to be okay, David." I looked at her and she kissed me.