20

When we woke up the next day, I took her to the ocean. I just loved the way the sun danced over her nose and in her eyes.

I opened my eyes and looked over at her, shielding my face from the sun. She took my other hand and smiled at me, resting her other hand on her stomach.

It was a good day for Ilse. The airport was an hour away from the beach and we would be picking up the girls shortly after we left. We both missed our children deeply.

          Ilse rolled on top of me and whispered in my ear "let's go in the water" before kissing my neck. I looked up at her and sat, picking her up and running with her to the water. "Nooo" she yelled laughing. I kissed her neck before throwing her into the water.

She laughed when she surfaced clawing at my torso to pull herself up. She kissed me and I felt the salty water on her lips. "I love you." She murmured.

"I love you too." I replied.

***

          Ilse sat, nervously bouncing her leg in the airport waiting area. Her dad had traveled with the girls and would be staying with us for a while.

          I put my hand on her knee and she stopped bouncing her leg. She looked at me and smiled wryly before looking away. She stood up and walked over to the window, pressing her face against it looking at the plane that just landed.

          "I think that's them!" She said pointing her finger against the glass and looking at me.

          "It could be." I said walking up behind her. She went over to the door and waited for them.

          People started flowing out with backpacks and the occasional small child. Our girls and her dad were some of the last.

          "Mommy!" Ros squealed. She ran to Ilse and jumped into her arms. Ilse buried her face into Ros' neck and kissed her. She picked up Maureen and I took Ros from her and embraced my small child. She pulled on my hair and I kissed her eyelids, that kept her eyes that were the color of mine, safe.

I hadn't realized how much I missed my children until they came back. And missing my children reminded me of Ilse's plea for another. Ros squirmed out of my arms and we started to walk away. I took hold of both their hands while Ilse started to talk to her dad.

***

When we got back to the house, Ilse's dad gasped at the size. Ros and Maureen started to run around. Ilse looked at her dad. "Did you remind Jenn and the boys to feed the cats?"

"I did." He said, "and you'll never believe what happened." She looked at him wide eyed. "Violet had kittens. She seemed to let out a sigh of relief.

"That's wonderful!" She exclaimed. "Which reminds me that we need to bring the cats down here as soon as possible.

"And our stuff." I added, still in a daze. I sat down on the stairs and continued to think. Ilse and her dad began to babble away again as I drifted away.