22

I lay cuddled close to David, both still damp for our bath. David  pressed his face into my wet hair and inhaled. He moaned and kissed my forehead. "David, baby, do you want to put on some music?" I asked. He slid off of the bed and walked over to our bookcase full of records.

"What do you feel like listening to, babylove?" he asked me.

"Something easy," I replied. "Santo and Johnny." he ran his fingers over the long row of records and stopped when he reached my favorite one. He pulled it out and placed it on the turntable before coming back to bed. I lifted the covers to cover him before intertwining my bare legs with  his.

"Ilse?" he asked.

"Yes baby?" I asked back.

"I love you." I smiled into his back and kissed the middle. He chucked.

"I love you too, David." I replied with a yawn. "I'm tired." He gave a mumble as a response. I wrapped my arm around his waist and he laid flat on his back.

***

The early morning light came in as a sliver through the wall length curtains. It fell over Davids face and I saw his eyelashes flutter. We were still in the position we were in when we fell asleep the night before. I gave him a soft kiss under his chin to wake him the rest of the way. "Mornin' love." He said softly.

I got up and looked out of the window again and saw that there were dark clouds slowly moving towards the sun. "Oh no..." I whispered, and felt Davids arms wrap around my waist and rest his chin on my shoulder.

"What is it, love?" He asked, sounding concerned. I pointed to the dark clouds. " Oh, Ilse." I pressed my face into his chest and hugged him.

"Its not so much the rain or lightning as it is the thunder," I tried to explain. David held me closer and kissed the top of my head before he started towards the bathroom. I followed him and stopped at the bed and sat down to wait for him to come back out.

"What would you like for breakfast?" he called from the other side of the door.

"Waffels!" I called back. I could hear the water running as he washed his hands.

"And bacon?" he asked, walking out of the bathroom and switching the light off after him. I nodded and followed him out of the door and down the grand stairway. He turned into the kitchen and pulled out the bacon, flour, eggs and the rest of the stuff to make waffles. I watched him put the bacon on the cast iron pan as I started to mix the waffle batter. David smiled at me and turned back to the bacon.

When the bacon was halfway done, he took out the waffle iron and poured the batter in. In no time I could smell the cooking waffles. Waffles have always been my favorite breakfast food, although I never really liked breakfast. I smiled at david as he slid a waffle and two pieces of bacon on my plate. He then handed me a glass of milk and sat in the high stool next to me.

We ate in silence and watched the rain start to fall out of the window above the stove. When I was done I hesitantly got off of the stool and placed my plate in the sink. David followed soon after and did the same. "Can you come to the shower with me?" I asked him. he gave a low laugh and shrugged his shoulders.

We walked up to the bathroom in our room. I slid off my loose pants and shirt that I had put on when I woke up. David did the same as I turned on the water and stepped in. Standing under the water and letting it hit my face, David offered to shampoo my hair. I agreed and let him wash my hair. "That feels so good." I said with my eyes closed. When I washed out all of the bubbles, I stepped out of the way so David could use the water.

We switched positions again and David spoke. "Why are you afraid of thunder?" he put soap on the washcloth and started to rub my back.

"I don't know, half of it is just the greatness of the noise and the other half is probably the childish anxiety." I turned around and looked him in the eyes. He pulled me into a hug.

***

When we got out of the shower, I followed him to his closet and I made him follow me to mine while I put on a pair of clean underwear and a fitted shirt. I grabbed the blanket off of our bed and followed him to the covered patio near the pool. We had put a swing there so we could sit and watch the girls swim. David sat on the swing and I sat down next to him, pulling my knees to my chin and covering us with the blanket. The thunder had stopped and it was just the rain.

We sat and watched it for a while before heading back inside to the couch. David chose a movie without showing me, assuming that I would already agree. And when it started, I did. He looked at me and smiled. "Phantom of the Opera. You know me well." I said giggling, before curling up to his into side.