Chapter 6

Clove

He kissed me! All these years I have wished this day would come and it has finally happened, and now we have to fight to the death. These games get in the way of everything! I always wonder what it was like before the wars, the riots, the 'dark days'. Did children run and play, did the birds always sing, was it a...happy place? All these questions which,forever, will remain unanswered as it is forbidden to ask or talk about it. In history, we learnt about a time in history called the '21st century' it seemed such a delightful time in this world. I shake my head, which pulls me out of my daydream. Mother and father will be delighted to hear that I am District 2's tribute. As I walk down my street, the light fades into a beautiful sunset; I look into the distance and see astoundingly tall mountains, one day I would love to climb them and look beyond District 2.

"Clove!", shouts my mother, "Stop daydream and come inside love, your letting all the heat out". I turn on my heal and break into a jog towards our house.

"How was training?"

"Great thank you and guess what? I am this years District 2's female tribute!", my mother went pale, "Are you alright?"

"Honey, listen, we don't think it's a good idea you going into the games. They are vile and we wouldn't want anything to happen. I'm going to ring up the training centre and tell them you can't do it"

"But Mum! You can't do that I already said I would do it!", I shouted, "You let Isabelle do it when she was 13 and Cane!"

"Isabelle was reaped and no one volunteered", said mother trying to calm me with her low, smooth voice.

"This isn't fair!", and then I ran upstairs holding back the tears, "You have never believed in me!". She is just trying to scare me because my cousin died last year in the hunger games when she was 15. It was such a brutal death: she pair up with Marble District 1's male tribute and they fell in love but, Marble didn't really love her, he was using he due to her archery skills so, one night when he was on guard, he killed her by stabbing her but claimed that Shimmer killed her. Shimmer became really good friends with my cousin, Maya, and they would protect one another so Shimmer killed Marble who was her own brother for betraying her and Maya.

District 1 and 2 always pair up so I'm guessing that mother doesn't not want the same thing to happen to me. I breath out slowly and open up the door to my room and sit down onto my bed, grab a pillow and punch it so hard the stuffing comes out. I find it good to release my anger, it makes my see sense like why my mother wants to protect me. Maybe being a tribute isn't such a good idea after all...