Chapter 31

Clove

"What the fuck!", I scream. Everything...all our supplies...gone! I run in rage toward what is left...an apple and smoke. The others soon catch up with me and gasp in shock.

"WHAT happened here!", hisses Cato charging toward our so-called 'guard', "I'm gonna flipping kill the hell out of you!".

"I-I don't kn-", were his final words. With one twist of his head, he is goner. A cannon marks his death and we back away, letting his stupid unworthy body be collecting.

"12..", whispers Marvel before jogging away from us.

"What the-".

"Leave him be Cato. We need to gather what we can and take off. Lover boy is still around", I instruct.

A few apples, a blanket, knives, water bottles and night vision goggles is what we have left, including what is in our bags. After an argument, we decide to just keep walking until we found somewhere safe. Everyone wants to be near to water but, it's probably wiser to keep out of there way...for now. Let them do the work and I will finish it off.

2 hours later, rocks come into our view. Some big, some small. The size increases the further we walk. Cave like rocks appear and seem unused.

"Caves", exclaims Cato, "We should rest the night here".

"Whatever Hadley", I reply. He thinks he knows best, thinks he can get whatever he wants, any girl he wants. Well, he can't and it's my job to prove that. The cave is a good size with moss lining the walls and a small area of the ground. I take out an apple and graciously chew on it several times before swallowing; gulping water down every so often. My stomach wants more but I know that what I have had is enough to keep me going a while longer. I must of drifted off, only awakened by the hologram lighting up the sky. Tonight, I don't bother really watching who is dead and who isn't. My attention is only caught when Marvels face is shown, soon followed by Rue's. Rue...something about her makes me feel empty, sad, annoyed at these stupid games. Sure, I'm one step closer to winning but she is only a little girl! So gentle, so fragile. She didn't deserve this, no one does. I think about Kayla, how she wouldn't last a day in the games. Either from being killed, helping someone or commenting suicide. She wouldn't live. Even if I do die, I want my last thoughts to be of her.

"You okay?", asks Cato. That bitch wouldn't understand.

"I have younger siblings too; and older. She didn't deserve this, neither do you. I know you liked Rue. So if there is anything I can do to help...".

"I don't need your help. Don't take pity on me Cato". I expect a reply, maybe along the lines of,'I love you Clove, I will do whatever it takes to save you' bla bla bla. All that bullshit. If those words did come out of his mouth, I would make him take them back in an instance. I still don't know where he got the whole, 'you loved me' idea from. Sure, I lost memory from the stings but forgetting someone I love? That would not happen. I can assure you.

I spend the night half awake, half asleep depending on what my mind is focussing on. Cato sleeps like a log though. That expression always made me wonder, what does it mean exactly? A log if lifeless, boring and gets in the way at times. He sure gets in my way.

The sky turns orange and I smack Cato to wake him.

"What?, he grunts, "By the way, nice hair". He gets another slap.

"Hunting, I heard animals scurrying around last night. I couldn't leave you alone".

"You need to sleep sometime. You rest and I will go hunt for a bit", he offers. I'm not worried about be left alone, I don't like it. That's all.