Chapter 13

Cato

Me and Clove. Fighting in the arena. To the death. This is just too much to handle. I am leading into a small room where my family will say there final goodbye.

"Cato darling!", cries mother, "You will win this! Your strong". Father pats me on the back.

"I know it's hard, with Clove being the tribute, you can do this". My brothers and sister had to wait outside. I am then alone, I know no one else is coming, I told my friends no and all I have left is Clove. The peacekeeper drag me out of the room and shoves me onto a train. I stumble at his force and land in a plush sofa. I put my head in my hands and try not to worry to much. A door opens and Clove comes in, looking sorta tough. Not shy and innocent anymore but, like she will hurt anyone who is in her way. There is something different about her. I stand up and walk over to her. I look her in the eyes and say, "You okay? We will do this, I promise". Someone needs to support her, she breaks the gaze and turns.

"I don't need extra comfort. I'm fine Cato! Really!", she replies slightly annoyed. I frown.

"Your not usually like this Clove, what's up?".

"I have to be brave, be everything I am not Cato! That's how I get noticed!". I hug her tightly and whisper, "I love you for who you are, not what you want to be. I truly love to Clove and I will until the end of time". I release the hug and kiss her right on her lips.

We sit in silence for the next five minutes until Mackenzie our escort walk in and break the silence.

"Congratulations! It's going to be a busy few weeks!", squeals Mackenzie her blonde hair bouncy. Great, just what I want, no peace. Our mentors blabber on for another 10 or so minuets and then escort us to our rooms. I find the bathroom and lavish myself in body wash, washing all of today's drama away. The water relaxes me but, not enough to forget about what I said: I will die, Clove will survive.

Clove

Nothing else matters. Cato is coming home and that is all. He will try to save me; I won't let him. I walk over to the bathroom and run a bath, I get in to find that the water is burning me; the type of burn that turns comforting. I shut my eyes. What is the point in living if we are going to die anyway? What would it matter if I died right now? I plunge myself under the water, washing off all of the fears, which soon turns into holding my breath. I blank out the world and focus on drowning, this way I won't breath. I will be in a happy place I tell myself. My lungs begin to burn and the world spins around me. I hear shouting and doors opening, they can't stop me now, nobody will miss me. I'm already gone.