Chapter 32

Cato

"Cato!", a voice in the distance screeches, "Cato!". I would know that voice anywhere...Clove! I sprint as fast as I ever could to the feast to see Katniss lying in the ground and Thresh slamming a rock into Cloves head. As fast as I can, I pull out my swords and plunge it into his back. He drops to his knees before letting out a strangled cry. I turn to Katniss.

"Clove was supposed to kill you. She can't now...so I will!", I laugh as a break her neck. She drops to the ground in a pile of limbs. 2 cannons go off, not 3. There may still be time! Time to save her! I grab all 3 bags off the table and out of Katniss's hands then run to Clove.

"Clove, clove, clove! Your okay, your gonna be okay. Please...say something. Your my everything. I-I can't leave without you". The tears gush out off me and I fall into a pile beside her. My head rests of her chest, I feel a slight heartbeat. It's faint but it's there. Without thought, I dive into CPR. 30 presses, 2 breaths.

"C-Cato?", she gasps. Her eyes flutter open.

"Hey there. Your okay, I promise", I reassure.

"Kiss me", she orders.

"What?".

"Shut up Hadley and kiss me". I do not reject that offer as I place my lips against hers. Sparks fly like the very first time we kissed.

We spend the night in a large Willow tree.

"What happened to Katniss?", she asks.

"I finished her off, don't worry about her. Now, tell me, when did you remember?".

"When he hit me. Everything...it all came flooding back".

"It's great to have you back Clovers. I never stopped loving you". I smile creeps upon her face and she gently kisses me on the cheeks as the sky's are lit up with faces. Katniss and Thresh leave us today. Which means only Peeta, Foxface, Clove and me are left. Along with the daily deaths, another announcement is said, "Attention tributes! These games having been going on for weeks. You have just tomorrow to be crowned victor before there will be none. Thank you and happy hunger games!". No words can be said. I'm metaphorically being strangled, no air was being let in or out. My head turns towards Clove, who is climbing down the tree.

"What are you doing!", I ask.

"Hunting humans. Come on!". I laugh at her enthusiasm as I join her.

"Peeta will probably be in a tree or a cave by the lake. Foxface...she could be anywhere. Near the lake most likely". She sure knows her stuff.

"Too the lake!", I joke and I lift her onto my back and we run of into the night.

The moon shines through the trees and we near the lake. A swish of water makes my head turn. Any slight noise makes you jump in the arena. There she is...Foxface. I gently place Clove down and whisper, "It's your turn Clovers". She breaths out and steps toward. Her lean but slim legs bouncy along the waterside. Foxface is unaware of Cloves presence.

"Happy hunger games Foxface", she whispers. A gasp is released for her mouth as she turns to she Clove.

"H-have mercy Clove! Let me do it", she begs. Her eyes narrow and her head turns towards me. I shrug and pull a face.

"Go on then", Clove says. Foxface shakily takes the knife out of Cloves hand and places it up against her throat.

"Thank you", she thanks before dying, followed by her cannon. Clove wipes something from her eye; embraces me and tells me we have to go. We follow footprints upstream to a cave, not much different from our own.

"Katniss?", calls a croaky throat. There he is; Clove pulls my arm backwards, stopping me from entering.

"I can't do this. You kill him. It would be like me killing you, you know I couldn't do that!", she whispers, "Make it quick?". I nod and go to Peeta.

"Peeta...I'm sorry, I have to do this", I say.

"You love her don't you?", he asks me.

"Clove? Of course, yes".

"Please, make it as quick as possible", he begs.

"Eat these", I order. I pull out a handful deadly nightlock. "You'll be with her now". He picks up a few and places them in his mouth. One less person is now breathing.

It's just us two now; less than a few hours before both of us die.

"I can't imagine a world without you Clovers", I admit.

"Then let's wait...we could die together".

"Okay. Let's head back to the lake for our last few hours together on earth".

It's early morning when we make it to the lake. We decide to say some goodbyes to family.

"Mother, father, Primrose, Ryan and Jay. I'm sorry...i love Clove and I can't imagine a world without her. She kept me sane, made me whole. Please, understand me and make sure neither Primrose or Ryan has to go through what I am. Goodbye", I say and step back, letting Clove speak.

"Thank you Isabelle and Cane, for helping me before the games. Mother, father, thank you for being such amazing parents"

Kayla

"Kayla...", tears form in both Clove and my eyes,"You mean the world to me. We have our ups and downs but I can't imagine you in the games. Please, always remember me. I love you". My body starts to shake with tears as I cry into her old jumper. It feels like my heart is being ripped in two. In a few hours, both Cato and Clove will be dead.

"Fuck these darn games...", I grunt.

"Kayla! Language!", moths squeaks but, father just laughs.

"Sorry".

Clove

"Happy hunger games", I finish. I run back into Cato's arms as the world seems to stop. The birds stop singing, squirrels stop running but we are still alive.

"Nightlock", he whispers into my ear.

"What?".

"A painless death. Please". I gulp then nod my head. "On three".

"Hold them up, I want the world to see what they are making us do", I say.

"1", Cato begins. I take a deep breath and look at the sky.

"2", this is it, the final goodbye, "I love you".

"I love you too. Forever?".

"And...always...". We rise the berries to our mouths. I tilt my head back and let them roll into my mouth.

"Stop!", booms a voice, "Stop! The victors of the 74th hunger games. Clove Kentwell and Cato Hadley!".

I spew the berries from my mouths, wiping my tongue with the end of my shirt to get rid of the juice. Cato hands me some water and we cleanse our mouths until there is only saliva.

"You didn't swallow any?", I ask him.

He shakes his head, "You?".

"I'd be dead by now if I had. We are actually going home!", I squeal.

"I promised you we could do this and we did. You still look beautiful", he compliments.

I bush, "Shut up Hadley", and kiss me passionately. A gush of wind breaks us apart. The hovercraft hovers above us as a rope ladder in dropped down. Cato gets up first before pulling me into his body tight. The electrics current freezes us in place as we are lifted up and away from the arena. An avox greets us with a handshake and gestures for us to take a seat. No words are said during the flight.

The hovercraft lands onto of the training centre roof. Two strong arms grip Cato and pull him away from me. I bang on the glass door, screaming at them- when the needle jabs me from behind.