Chapter 15

Cato

We walk to the breakfast room to meet our mentors; Cane and Isabelle; Cloves' brother and sister.

"Clovey!", welcomes Isabelle and pulls Clove into hug her, "How are you feeling?"

Clove pushes Isabelle away, "I'm fine". We take a seat and eat whilst discussing tactics on how to survive, what to do if this or that happens and basic first aid.

"We and literally 15 minuets from the Capitol! How exciting", squeals Mackenzie.

"What happened to Orana?", I ask. I thought the person who does the reaping is your escort, not some random Captiol women!

"She was called in at the last minute to be District 3s' escort one the reaping was over. Now Clove, would you please mind changing into something a bit more... Cheerful? First impressions make a huge difference!" She grunts and walks off, slamming a door behind her. Mackenzie shakes her head, "Has she always had such a short fuse?"

Cane and Isabelle exchange glances, "She had a bit of a rough time with a gang before the reaping. Toughened her up a bit I guess!"

Clove returns in a floral dress and pumps. Wow, she looks beautiful in everything.

"Don't you know it's rude to stare?", questions Clove but in a jokey way;I blush and look away, "I'm only joking Cato". She comes and stands in front of me and reaches for my hands.

"Save it for the Capitol!", laughs Cane.

Everything in black, no sound or movement. "What's happening?", I can't find Clove. I can't see!

"We are in a tunnel Cato. Surely you know what that is", I think that was Mackenzie.

" Actually we don't have tunnels in our district". Isabelle?

Suddenly, I'm being blinded by colourful lights and cheering. It takes time for my eyes to adjust but when they do, it's the most beautiful yet busy place I have ever seen! I have never been to the Capitol; I have only seen pictures. Clove and I are instructed to stand and wave.

"Put your arm around her!", whispers Mackenzie, "The Capitol loves a good tragic romance story". Tragic? I place my arm around her shoulder and wave with my free hand. The trains door open with a hiss and the crowds erupt with noise, like a volcano. Mackenzie's leads the way through the crowd with Isabelle and Cane behind us, peacekeepers at our sides. We arrive at a skyscraper and rush through the doors escaping the crowd.

"As you are from District 2, your on the second floor! Enjoy the luxury of the Capitol children, breath it all in", Mackenzie exclaims. Her cheerfulness makes me want to puke. Crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling and velvet red carpet lines the floor. The elevator doors are made of solid gold and play a stupid happy song when they open. On our floor, the walls are full of portraits of the past victors from our district, more chandeliers hang and this time a golden carpet in placed under our feet. Cane opens the door labeled 'District 2' and walks into a massive open airy living room filled with everything imagine able. Clove and I stand there, jaws dropped for at least a few minutes before we and shown to our rooms.

"Come and get lunch whenever your ready and then around 7 we will call you for dinner and then it's the parade! Wash up and dress in something comfortable".

I open my door and walk down the 3 steps that lead into the biggest part of my bedroom. The bed has red velvety covers with matching pillows cases and a huge wardrobe sits up against the wall, filled with every colour of the rainbow clothes. I find the bathroom and step in the shower and wash off today's excitement. Thank god there are no baths! After, I wrap a towel around me and walk towards the wardrobe when I hear a knock at my door.

Clove

What is the point in all this? I'm gonna die anyway! I take a shower and put on legging and a bright pink top with matching uggs. Ridiculous Capitol fashion! I have hours left until I am needed so, I decided to see if Cato wants to hang out.

I knock on his door and his reply is, "Who is it?"

"Clove". I hear him rush about. What is he hiding in there? "Open up Cato! Or I'll do it my self!", a girl maybe? I push open his door revealing Cato in his underwear! I burst out laughing and he blushes.

"Hey Clove! Just doing some yoga!", he begins doing some weird stretches, "Care to join me?". I walk over to him and push him over so that he lands on the stomach. I put my foot on his back and yell, "I am victorious!". I take my foot away and hold my hand out for him to grab but instead he pulls me down will him and I land on his lap. We laugh for what seems like forever and I slip in between his legs and lift my head up to kiss him. He kisses me back hard. It was only a short kiss as we were in an uncomfortable position. I kneel in front of him and we continue, gasping for air every now and again. I place my hands on his chest and his at the bottom of my top, slowly bringing it upwards until it is know longer there. I don't how how far this will go but, I trust him. After a lot more kissing and cuddling, Cato lifts me up on his bed.

"I love you Clove"

"I know. I love you more"

"Not possible". I rest my head on his chest and listen to his heartbeat; what if I don't ever hear his heartbeat again?

"Cato, what's gonna happen if it's us two left?", I ask. I had to eventually.

"You know what I'm going to say Clove". I sigh and snuggle back down. He kisses my forehead and we lie still, listening to each other's breathing.

"Dinner will be in 10 minutes!", shouts Mackenzie from outside.

"Kay", Cato replies.

"I don't want to get up!", I complain. Cato laughs a little and then pulls me out of bed and tells me to get dressed.

"No!", I joke. He wrestled me to the ground but I end up on top. I climb off him and slip my top back on whilst he gets dressed and then go for dinner.

Cato

I wish that, those few memorable hours with Clove could of lasted forever. We walk out of our rooms shoving each other until Mackenzie gives us a small lecture on behaviour. We eat some delicious food although I have no idea what it is and them are taken to meet out stylists. We are taken to a hall where we are 'stripped, shaved and polished' as Mackenzie would say. I lie down naked on this metal bed thing and am hosed down. It's really uncomfortable but I close my eyes and try to not think about it too much. Once it's all over I am given a robe and taken to a small room where I will meet my stylist.

Minutes later, a guy walks in, not much taller than me. He holds and his hand and I shake it.

"I'm sorry that this happened to you", he says' "I'm Tomaz".

"Cato", I reply. He shows me what I am going to be wearing: a golden amour suit, gladiators.

I look at my self in the mirror, not bad. I can't wait to see how beautiful Clove looks!