Chapter 12

Cato

We will always be together, forever and always. We kiss for what could be the last time and then we go our separate ways.

"We will be back before you no it", I shout. Clove runs off to get in queue and so do I. The lady pricks me finger, it hurts every time, and then I go and join the right line. An orange haired lady named Orana steps out and welcomes us, "Welcome, welcome, the time has come to pick one young man and women to do the honer of representing District Two in the 74th annual hunger games! But first, at little something from the Capitol!". Oh joy! Five minutes of pain! 'War, terrible was...' The video begins. The rest I manage to block out.

"Wasn't that exciting?", No I think to myself, "As usual, ladies first and may the odds be ever in your favor!". It's time! Let's just hope that someone good gets reaped! Orana has chosen and she makes her way back to the microphone.

Clove

"Kayla", she begins. No, don't say it! Don't say it! "Kentwell!". No, no,no! This can't happen. My little sister. Before I can't stop myself, I am shouting, "I volunteer as tribute!". Kayla is just frozen not moving at all. From shock I guess. We are all in shock! "It's okay Kayla! Go to mum!", I cry.

"No Clove! No!", Isabelle comes lifts her away trying to calm her. I would do anything to keep Kayla safe. This world it too harsh for her at the moment. Peacekeepers push me up onto the stage.

"And what is your name?", asked Orana. Can't she see we look exactly alike?

"Clove Kentwell", I reply.

"I bet my buttons that was your sister!", I nod, "Now for the boys". I search for Cato in the crowd to wish him good luck....

It struck me. It doesn't matter who gets reaped, Cato is tribute and we are going to be fighting to the death.

I can't bear to listen to what Orana is saying. The same thought haunts me, Cato and I will never in this lifetime, be together. We are being dragged of the stage by peacekeepers and pushed into small rooms where our family's would say goodbye. My mother, father and a crying Kayla are first. Kayla runs to hug me and I hold her tight telling her that it's going to be alright.

"Your strong Clove, you can do this. Give them a good show, that's all they want!", said father pulling me into hug him. My mother is about to cry, so I tell her, "Don't cry. I'm going to win this, the mentors know how to train us! I will see you soon, I promise!". I am not gonna cry, I tell my self.

"You have to win the Clove. Promise?", cries Kayla, "Wear this, for luck and to remind you of us". She hands me the locket I got for my birthday.

"Time is up", interrupts the peacekeeper.

"I promise Kayla! I will win!", I shout after them. I have to change, I have to be brave. I have to be strong and fierce. Everything I am not.