Chapter 14-Luke

Luke saw Birdie walk into the arena.  She didn't have a weapon, and he was kind of disappointed.  He was hoping she would find favor in a sword, but maybe she needed something unique.

She walked over with a huge smile on her face.  

He asked the obvious question, "So, did you find something to fight with?"

She nodded her head happily, "It's perfect, and magical."  She held up her bracelet, which he was pretty sure she didn't have before.  He realized it was probably one of those weapons like Percy's that retracted into something smaller.  

Birdie took the bracelet off, and it elongated into a coil of rope.  He raised his eyebrow, but then realized it was a whip.  A long, wicked, leather weaved strip, embedded with shards of celestial bronze.  Interesting, very unique, and would help for long distance fighting. 

"Well," he said, "let's get training."

Luke was dumbfounded when he saw what Birdie could do.  She whipped out six feet of leather and bronze, like it was no heavier than a yo yo.  When fighting the dummies, she ripped them to shreds.  But what really scared him was actual combat.  She managed to disarm him before he even reached her.  Distance fighting was apparently very useful.  But then he realized that this lucky strike was a moment of power, similar to the one Percy had when disarming him years ago, because she wasn't able to do it again.  Yet, she was still very skilled.

After hours of this, she went to go practice other things, and he stayed in the arena.  He practice nonstop for hours on end, not bothering to eat, or rest.  He pretended that every dummy that he ripped to shreds, was his own self.  He wished he was meeting the same demise as these straw stuffed scare crows.

He deserved it.  Now that he thought about it, he didn't deserve her.  he didn't deserve Birdie.  Piper made him realize that he had a huge crush on her, but he knew that she was too good, too innocent, too beautiful, too perfect to be even a friend.  He would end up hurting her just like he hurt Annabeth, and thousands of others.

He ripped another dummy to shreds and realized it was the last one on the field.  Everyone in the arena was staring at him.  Of course.  He slaughtered those dummies like he slaughtered those nameless victims in the Titan War.  He knew it wasn't the same, and that no one else was thinking that way, but somehow that didn't register. 

He ran from the staring eyes, and towards Zeus's Fist.  He sat there, for not even five minutes before someone showed up.

"Hey," said Annabeth's voice.

Luke didn't reply.

"What's going on?"

He was dead silent.

"Tell me what's wrong, Luke."

You could have heard a pin drop.

"Luke!  Please tell me what's wrong, or I'll go get Birdie and have her tell me."

A tear slowly dripped down his cheek.  He didn't want Annabeth knowing what he was thinking, but he figured it would be better than opening up to Birdie.

"I-" he began in a choked voice, "I don't see why the Fates sent me back to be miserable.  They sent me back, and they're cursing me again with feelings for Birdie now too."

"Oh, Luke," said Annabeth, "you've always been my big brother, so now I get to be your sister and give you girl advice!"

Luke looked at her pathetically.  "Annabeth, seriously.  She doesn't deserve an evil idiot like me."

"Luke you're not evil, let alone an idiot.  I'm usually not a fan of shipping, but this is you.  You seriously need a girlfriend."

"Wow, thank you.  That totally makes me feel better."

"Just ask her out, Luke.  I don't care how you do it, as long as it's not super cheesy and romantic."  

Annabeth left Luke sitting on the rock.  He had to admit that he never thought he would get girl advice from the daughter of wisdom, but then again, he never thought he would die and come back to life either.

But he knew that he wouldn't be asking Birdie out.  Ever.  Annabeth didn't understand that he could still hurt people.  That he would still hurt people if he got too close to them.  He would never get that close again.