Chapter 33-Luke

"Tell me what?"  He had walked into the cave to hear Piper talking about him.  He was curious.

Birdie looked up at him, from the corner nearest to the door, with the wettest of eyes.  Then she put her head into her knees and sobbed.  Luke sat down next to her, and would have put her arms around her, but Piper beat him to it.

"What's wrong Princess?" he asked.  He'd been thinking of nicknames for her for a while now, and he had settled on this.

"Princess?" she asked raising an eyebrow as she looked up.  Wow.  Her eyes were red and puffy, as if she'd been crying for a while.  Her small smile was quite obviously forced.

He smiled a bit too.  Then he put his hand on her head and brushed her hair back with his fingers.  He kissed her temple lightly.  Piper moved to make way for him, and he put his arm around Birdie's shoulders.  He rubbed her arm and looked at her.

"What's wrong?" he repeated.

She didn't say anything, so after a while Piper said, "Maybe you should take her back to her cabin, Luke.  She's under some distress."

You think?  But he didn't voice his thoughts.  Instead, he picked his princess up bridal style, and walked to her cabin.  Her eyes were staring at something that he couldn't see.  It was scary.

When he got to cabin two, he lay her down on her bed, and sat on the edge.  He saw her pretty eyes stare up, wide with fright.  He wanted to help her, but he didn't know how.  She seemed so helpless.

Suddenly her hand shot out and latched on to his.  "Don't leave me," she whispered hoarsely, still staring at something he couldn't see.

He swung his feet onto her bed, and sat criss-cross next to her, stroking her hair with his free hand.  Tears leaked from her eyes.  It was so clear that she didn't want to talk about it, and it was taking all of his self control not to ask.  But he restrained himself.  Anything for Birdie.

She choked a gasp and clutched his hand tighter.  She started breathing heavily, in and out, in and out.  This girl was so strange, so innocent in his eyes.  Somehow, now she looked broken.  How could he help her?  She was so scared.

"Princess?"

She didn't answer.

"Do you want to talk about it?"  He didn't ask if she was ok.  It was so clear that she wasn't.

She only moaned.  Her eyes shut suddenly.  "No," she whispered.  "No, no NO!" she shouted, growing louder.  Her hoarse whispers turned into screams.

Then she started shaking.  "No!" she sobbed.

"Shhhh," he coaxed, "I'm here.  No need to worry."  He pulled her head onto his lap.  He continued to stroke her hair and hold her hand.  The tears were pouring heavily now.  He wiped them away.

"NO!  Not dead!  He can't be!"  Then she gasped and sobbed more.  "NO! Not again!  It can't happen all over again!  Why are you so cruel!?  I'm sorry!"  She broke down sobbing a fresh wave of tears.  "I'm sorry," she whispered through the tears.  "I'm sorry."

"Shhh.  It's ok.  I'm right here."  He pulled her up so she was resting on his chest.  He wrapped his arms around her, and she shook even more.  He kissed her head and rubbed her arms.  "Shhh."

Slowly.  So, so slowly, she drifted to sleep.  Her breathing steadied and her tears subsided.  Luke didn't get up.  He didn't want to wake her.

Suddenly, he was glad he took the dare, even if he failed.  The boys had heard that the girls were having a slumber party, so they wanted to counter attack.  They all decided to have their own sleepover in Percy's cabin.  Luke didn't know why they invited him.  Anyway, they were playing truth or dare, and Leo dared Luke to go to Rachel's cave, and kidnap Birdie.  He was reluctant, but they talked him into it.  So he went to the cave, and I'm sure you know the rest of the story.

If he hadn't taken that dare, he never would be in this situation.  This brilliant situation.  He tried to keep his eyes open for Birdie's sake, but his princess would have to wait.  Wait until he could open them again.  And then his eyes drooped, and he couldn't keep them open, even for her.