(23)

Sorry for the late update!
Typos are there.Kindly ignore those errors :)

Everyone stared at her.
When Diya noticed that everyone were staring at her,she wanted to run away.Shyla and Aarav were glaring.
But maybe noticing Diya' s expression,Shyla smiled warmly at her and gestured to her that her glare was directed towards Kartik.Not her.She breathed relieve and she smiled back.
Nikhil smiled proudly at his sister while Saira was left wondering if she should be happy for her new bestie who had won or should she pout that her little brother lost.
So,she settled smiling at Diya and glaring at Kartik.
Kartik shifted uncomfortably on his feet as he noticed that Nikhil's family and relatives were giving smug look while his side of relatives were giving him glares.
He cleared his throat and spoke,"Thank you for your kind attention.If everyone had enough of glaring at me and giving me smug look,you all can celebrate with Diya."
Everyone laughed at it.
Nevertheless,Mrs Malhotra whose presence had been forgotten spoke,"No.It is a ritual therefore,Diya give it to Saira's side.Nikhil give them the gifts we have personally chosen from A Expensive personalised store."
Diya and Nikhil nodded.
He managed to give all of Saira's cousin sisters the gifts.
Aarav stood silent as relatives stood there happily chatting while he actually understood underlying meaning of 'personally chosen'.Shyla laced her hand with his to control his a bit of angerness.
Mr and Mrs Kapoor stood oblivious of this,while Saira was glaring at her new mother-in-law.Thank God the guests were too busy looking at gifts.
Kartik simply shrugged at her statement when she said that.He knew that behaviour.
Thanks to Diya.
He just prayed that Saira could well manage in that house.
Nikhil and Diya exchanged worried glances at her statement. But they silently managed to message to Aarav,Shyla a sorry message.

Now,it was time for Vidaai. Vidaai marks the departure of the bride from her parental house.
Saira threw phulian or puffed rice over her head. The ritual conveys her good wishes for her parents. A traditionally sad ritual that it was, Saira said goodbye to her parents, siblings and rest of her family. Saira hugging her brother and Shyla,she shed a few tears.Aarav too shed tears and Shyla was weeping more than Saira,while Nikhil stood there,trying to assure them he would support Saira.
Aarav spoke up after shedding his tears,"Nikhil?"
Nikhil replied,"Yes?".Aarav spoke looking into his eyes with a sudden determination and said,"If you ever make her cry,I would not be afraid to beat crap out of you and oh!Shyla here is a kick boxer so even she will support me.Of course though I am talking about Sad tears not happy tears."
Nikhil's mouth was left open.
Nikhil looked a bit shock from this sudden statement,but nonetheless Nikhil nodded and assured him again.
Kartik hugged his sister and whispered quietly ,"If anyone,I mean anyone,troubles you,you know who to talk with,right?"
Saira nodded.They always shared their secrets.
But this time,it seemed both hid their secret.Kartik about Diya and Saira about her marriage.
Saira broke down while hugging her parents but no words were exchanged which hurt Saira more.
Mr Kapoor looked stern as ever and Mrs Kapoor just shed some tears.She still spoke a little,"Saira,do all your duties of a wife and daughter in law.And don't ever forget that you are independent woman.Got it?"
Saira nodded and tight hugged her mother.Atleast she spoke to her.
Her brothers and male cousins then lead her to Nikhil's family, who were waiting to take her to their family home to begin her new life as a married woman. Her relatives threw coins in the wake of this procession. In keeping with tradition Mrs Malhotra did not come to the Doli and instead made preparations at home to greet the arrival of Nikhil and his new wife. Mrs Malhotra had a glass of water in her hand, which she circled 3 times around her new daughter in law and then offered it to her to drink, as a symbol of her acceptance and blessing as her newest daughter.
But then again,it was a symbol.
Mrs Malhotra bent near Saira's ears and whispered,"You will never be the daughter in law I ever wanted.So,do not expect anything from me.Not a thing."
Saira obviously expected it so she just shrugged.
The newly weds were now welcomed in a ceremony called the pani bharna. Here Saira with her right foot, kicked the sarson ka tel (mustard oil) that was put on the sides of the entrance door before she entered the house. Then, along with Nikhil, she had offered puja(worship)in their room. Then they touched the feet of the elders in a ceremony called matha tekna.
And Then rest of the evening was spent playing traditional games.

The Knotted string game was played first where Diya tied several knots in a long string and the Nikhil and Saira were supposed to use one hand each and work together to pry open the knots. It is believed that the sooner they untie the knots, the smoother their wedded life will be.
Surprisingly they did it fast.Mostly these knots were opened by Saira.

Another 'after wedding game' is pillow talk! A pillow is held between the shoulders of the bride and groom who sit with their backs to each other. They are asked questions to which they have to reply in "Yes' or "No" by nodding their heads. Since they cannot see each other they do not know how the other is responding. For the gathering it is great fun to watch the newly-weds reply similarly or differently to each query.
Sia came forward and asked the very first question,"So,did you both do it?"
Everyone in the room gasped at her question.While Sia looked excitingly at them.
Nikhil rolled his eyes and said,"Shut up."And he glared at her.Sia stuck her tongue out and laughed.
Saira frowned as she couldn't guess what Sia was talking about.What is 'it' she was left wondering.
It was then a Aunty came up and asked,"Okay,tell Me Nikhil's favourite dish?"
Saira widened her eyes and she couldn't remember a thing,so she spoke,"Chicken?"
Aunty looked at Nikhil who nodded at her.Everyone clapped for her.
Then she asked Nikhil the same question for Saira.
Nikhil thought for a second before saying,"Give her any sweet dessert and she is aced."
Saira was shocked at how he knew this about her.
Aunty asked,"Favourite Actress?"
Saira thought for awhile before replying,"Julia Roberts?"
Nikhil nodded and everyone clapped.
Nikhil answered when his turn came,"Probably,Shraddha Kapoor." (A/n: I know what I did here.Lol.)"
Saira also nodded. And everyone clapped.
And so many questions were asked and they answered and finally everyone concluded that both knew each other well.

Fish the ring is one of the oldest and popular sports. In a bowl filled with milk (the liquid has to be hazy so that the rings cannot be seen). The couple removed their rings and put it in the bowl filled with milk. Diya came forward and swirled the bowl and the couple dived their hands to get the rings. Nikhil and Saira were rather fighting with their hands then actually finding ring.Both were glaring at each other.Finally,Nikhil gave her a smug look.Everyone anticipated in excitement about the winner.He proudly took out the object he held.
And lo and behold!

His hand held a Rose petal.Every person in room laughed at that.Now,Saira gave him smug look and took out the ring.
Of course,she had won.They both knew the myth.
If it is the bride then she shall rule the family, as the wedding myth goes.
Saira whispered to Nikhil,"Get ready as I will be ruling your life."And she smiled.Nikhil glared as always.

As her smile stuck a chord with her heart's happiness,she didn't know,it was him who managed to make a rhythm out of it.Nikhil had deliberately lost the ring ritual.
And pillow talk!Bah!None of the answers she gave was right.
Julia Roberts was a good actress but he liked Madhuri Dixit.
He was okay with chicken but his favourite was Paneer dish.
But he nonetheless lied so that no one will tease her about not knowing about him.
That was the least he could do as a friend to her.
If he could try,he will keep this as a secret.
For now,he was content with seeing her smile and laugh in a victory.

He wondered looking at Saira,"Someone said right,small gestures can mean sometimes the most."
And he continued to fake glare at everyone.

Thank you everyone for showing your love!We have reached 64k views!I am simply so thankful to you all.
So,they are finally married and rituals are completed from my side!don't forget to give them the blessings!
Sometimes the toughest person has the softest heart.I think this held true for Nikhil.
Update next coming up later this month as my exams have officially started.I hop you will keep patience ^_^
Oh and don't forget to check out my new work 'a cup of Coffee and Croissant'.Its going to be a short story.
Pray for me!and don't forget to read,comment and vote!!!
Ciao!