(37)

Recap:
Nikhil realises his mistakes and surprises Saira with cards,flowers and pizza.
She responds to his surprise by shutting the door on his face.

What the actual...?
I breathe in and out and open the door again.
Maybe I am imagining?
I open the door and I see him still standing and so I again close the door.
Where is his signature glare?
I hear him knock softly.
I lean on the door and I remain confuse.
Why now?
I hear him,"I know Saira,all I have done is accuse you.Always hiding from the truth."
I hear him pause as if he is contemplating his next words.I hold my breath.
It's first time for me that he is disclosing.
His repentance surprises me.
He continues after carefully choosing his words,"If you haven't already guessed,I have trust issues.Many people will mock me that I was affected by my first real relationship."
I almost snort.I only experienced a crush so he was far ahead.
But I don't interrupt him.I know if he doesn't say today,maybe it will never happen again.
He pauses and I think he too leans on the door.
He speaks,"Naina was my first best friend and girlfriend.She had seen me through time when I was happy to this man I am today."
I think somewhere I realise that this girl Naina holds a special place in his heart.
He continues and says,"You know the ring I gave to you belongs to my mother,right?"
I nod but I realise he can't see me.
But he continues in a weary sound and as if he is controlling his sobs.
He finally says,"The ring was last thing I had of my mother."
I nearly gasp and look at the vintage ring. But why will he give this to me,in a fake marriage?
I hear him say,"My father was nothing but a cheater and who often gambled away the money.He harassed my mother greatly when she was about to give birth to Diya."
I think my eyes are moist.
He says,"She really tried...You know...After 3 years,she decided to leave him.I still remember she promised me that she will return and take her kids away from him.I think she knew that there was some danger because she still told me to write letter for each day.She handed me her ring and told me to gift it to someone trust worthy of my love.Funny,I was of small age,what would I know."
I was already crying and I heard him sob too.
He still continued,"You know,I waited for her.For god damn 10 years,before I discovered she was dead and buried.And that's when Dad's accident occurred and I never knew where he was.It was then my mother's sister and her husband came and claimed themselves as foster parents.Anyways,I just need to tell you,I have only seen people walk out on me.I have a fear that people who I love always tend to leave me.Its my defence mechanism to drive away people.I am sorry,"
God damn!I am crying mess.
So next thing,I Do is open the door and he stumbles because he was leaning on the door.
And I hug him.
My heart reaches out to him and I cry bitterly.
I never knew that behind a signature glare stood thousands of buried smiles and pain.
His shoulders are stiff but then he loosens up and he hugs me back.
And next I realise,he is a bigger crying mess than me.
He cries bitterly and I rub his back in a calming manner.
His eyes are red and his nose red from crying.
He does nothing but keeps crying for half an hour and I don't stop him.
After he regains himself,he takes out his handkerchief and he wipes his tears away.
He weakly attempts to smile and say,"Sorry.I probably ruined everything."
I move a bit closer to him and whisper,"No.You saved us from ruining."
His brows furrow and he asks,"Because I told you about my mother?"
I stand up and take the bouquet,the card and other things inside my room and close it.
It's lucky no one passed by that time.
I tell him after sometime,"Maybe.But majorly because you apologised about how you earlier accused me."
His eyes look guilty and he again says,"I am sorry...."
I shake my head and says,"It's fine now.Major reason because of pizza."
He rolls his eyes at my answer but none the less smiles.
Is this really Nikhil?
I hope he is.