On Pens and Needles

TENNESSEE BLUES: ON PENS AND NEEDLES
Chapter fifteen

A month later

It's been four weeks since Beyoncé ran away. She was still attending school but at home. April offered to get her work for her. The detective stopped by Justin's house a couple of times to talk to him and the restraining order was revoked by Beyoncé.

It was two o'clock in the evening, the ending of school. Beyoncé ambled outside with her things, immediately hearing a car horn. She watched Justin pull up beside her in his mustang. "Hey, sexy! Want a ride?" She rolled her eyes mischievously while walking over to the passengers side. Right before she was about to sit in, she happened to look up to notice a familiar car parked in the parking lot. Why did that car look so familiar? Then that's when she focused in on Matthew. He was sitting in the drivers side hawking her down. Her smile instantly faded and it felt like her heart stopped.

She had no reason to be upset because she explained everything to to detective with the help of Justin. She confessed that she was abused by her parents and she finally decided to put a restraining order on them. "Hey." She sat in, shutting the door afterwards. "How was school?" She gawked to the side to meet his gaze.

"Um...it was okay." He leaned in, pecking her on the lips.

"I missed you." She forced a smile upon her lips.

"I missed you too. Even though it's only been six hours since we've been apart." She teased.

"I know." He finally pulled off. She looked away to peer in the side view mirror. She was so paranoid that her father was following them. "How did the exam go?" She was completely in her own little world that she didn't even hear him talking. "Bee?" He called, putting his gaze on her.

"Yes?" She quickly looked away to stare at him.

"You okay? You seem a bit out of it. Did you flunk the exam?"

"Oh...no. I passed with an A." He smiled in return.

"I knew you would. You're so smart." She smiled, reaching out to rest her hand on top of his. "I happened to install an engine while you were in school. This guy came in the shop today with a bad engine on his F-150. Trace and I hooked that bad boy up to the machine and installed the engine. That's the FASTEST we've ever installed a new engine. So..."

"Wow. You guys are good." She eyed him, noticing the traces of smeared dirt and oil on parts of his body. For some reason, this sight sent a chill up her spine. She didn't know what it was but seeing him like this made him look very masculine.

"I didn't even get a chance to hop in the shower." They finally made it home moments later.

"I was thinking about visiting my sister in a few weeks." Beyoncé spoke from the bed. "I miss her and I just hope they're not treating her how they treated me." She removed her shoes and carried them to the closet.