I Heart You

TENNESSEE BLUES: I HEART YOU
Chapter twenty-three

"I...I told Bee and April to hide in the closet. When I came out here, he was gone. I checked the bedrooms and the rest of the house. By the time I got to the living room, you guys were pulling up." Justin spoke to a sheriff in the living room.

"And you said you think it was your girlfriend's father?"

"I didn't say it was him. I couldn't see the face. They had a mask on. But I do THINK that her father was involved. Maybe he hired someone. He had an opportunity to kill me. Instead, he shot the detective and then took Solange."

"And who is Solange?"

"Um..." He scratched his forehead in frustration. "She's Beyoncé's sister. She's missing now and I know he took her. Whoever he was." He looked away to gaze at April and Beyoncé who sat on the sofa still in a daze. "I just don't understand why he would go this far. Why kill an innocent person? JUST because he wanted to get his daughter back? Those people who let him free are gonna be sorry."

"We still don't have proof that he's involved." Justin laughed pathetically.

"He IS involved. None of this crazy shit has been happening until after he was released. He's been locked up for over a month and all of a sudden, when he gets out---all hell breaks lose. He's involved. I know he hired someone to do this."

"I have to get her." Beyoncé cried.

"That fucker took Solange. Why would he do that? It had to have been Matthew who set this up. He probably decided to kill the detective off so it would have been easier for him to do what he had to do. You know, without the detective being in the way. That's the only assumption I can come up with. Because he could've shot me too. And you guys must've scared him off because he was upstairs. That's how he got Solange. He took her."

"Okay well...if we have any further questions, we will contact you. We've already gotten everybody's statement." The sheriff ambled towards the front door. "You guys remain inside for the night. And lock up. If he shows back up, don't hesitate to call us."

"Sure. Good night." He shut the door behind him and turned to face the two women sitting on the sofa.

"What about Solange?" Beyoncé asked. "They have her."

"We put out an alert for a missing person on her. The only thing we can do is wait for now. Tomorrow we can go around and ask some people if they saw her. Whatever you wanna do. If your father took her, which I have a good idea that he did---he won't hurt her. You said yourself, he never laid a hand on her. I think he's using her to lower you back there. He can't keep her locked up forever. The school will start questioning her being absent. He's just making it obvious on himself. I just can't believe he went this far. Why would he do this? He killed Detective Mills."