Part 18

3 months later....

aboard the Ghost, Takodana, 2323, 3275 LY

     ''Caleb.'' Kanera's head turned, her eyes sparkling in the dim light of the corridors. Somebody called the name of her new brother. Why? And who was it? A family member? She found herself wandering to the spot where it came from. 

     Something, who knew what, told Kanera to stay hidden. When she looked around the bulkhead, she saw a tan woman in brown robes with rich brown hair braided back sat in a meditative position. Next to her sat a boy who looked about fourteen, loking at the woman with admiration. 

     It wasn't Caleb. Kanera's brother didn't wear a thin braid. Kanan had told her once before that a braid on a kid who wore robes usually signified a Padawan learner. This boy must be the woman's Padawan. She watched attentively. ''Master. You lied to me.''

     The young woman laughed warmly. ''And you ran anyway, Caleb. You knew I was lying when I said I'd be right behind you. You knew, and yet you ran.''

     The kid, Caleb, rubbed the back of his neck. He nervously wondered, ''Did you watch me all these years?''

     ''Yes.'' As Caleb bit his lip, looking in her direction, Kanera hid behind the bulkhead. When she looked back, she didn't see a boy, but an adult male cloaked in shadows. ''I watched you grow, my Padawan. It wasn't easy.''

     ''My name's not Caleb anymore, Master,'' the male growled, standing up. ''You know my new name. The one I chose...from an old friend.''

     The woman stood, putting a hand on Caleb's shoulder. She whispered, ''Of course, Kanan. I prefer Caleb, though.'' Kanera gasped. Kanan? Was this her father? It couldn't be. He would have told her. Right?

     She blinked open teal eyes. Rubbing them, she yawned. The dream couldn't mean anything. Could it?

     A blue mist crawled low across the grass of Takodana. The Ghost sat quiet, undisturbed, on the grass. The mist made its way up the ramp and into the open cargo bay. From there, it went into the hallways. From room to room it went, swirling around. Eventually, it made its way into one room and stayed there. 

     The mist materialized into a person-like form, gliding effortlessly above the floor. In a bed slept an adult male, peacefully lying still. ''Form,'' the mist hissed, completely white eyes opening and watching the human. A hand formed from the mist, touching the male on the forehead. ''Open form!''

     The male groaned. ''Open form.'' His back arched as he yelled in pain. Sweat rolled down his face as the mist grinned. ''Form...opening...resistance gone.'' The male lied on his back, completely still. The blue mist completely disappeared, the hand the last to disappear. Three seconds later, the male opened his eyes.

     The door slid open, revealing to Kanera her father. He wasn't wearing his faceplate, which surprised her. He always wore it. ''Dad?'' she asked, concerned. Slowly, she stood up, making her way over towards him. His eyes opened, their sockets filled with blue mist. In a flash, the lightsaber was in his hands and blazing. 

     Shocked, Kanera leaped out of the way as Kanan lunged at her. Her lightsaber sprung to life, glowing an ember orange. She threw her arms up to parry Kanan's next offensive blow, then ducked, spinning around to come up again with a mild offense. ''I don't want to hurt you!'' she hollered. 

     Kanan grinned, worrying Kanera. Was he really trying to hurt his own daughter? He flung out a hand, pushing her back. Steadying herself, she swung low, blocking another attack from her father. ''But I do,'' he growled as he disarmed her with a flick of the wrist, tripping her in one fluid movement. 

     Eyes blazing with the pale, icy blue mist, he raised his lightsaber for the final blow. Kanera flung out an arm in a defensive position, closing her eyes and looking away. A deep breath. The lightsaber came downwards....

Cliffhanger!