Part 20

6 months later....

Takodana, 0927, 3276 LY

     ''Commander Sato,'' Hera muttered, facing the hologram. He hadn't contacted her in over 8 months, so it was a surprise. ''What is it?''

     The grim-faced commander cracked a smile. He muttered, ''Delta was a success, Captain Syndulla. You can come home.'' Hera's eyes brightened as she beamed at the commander.

     ''Copy that,'' she muttered, a foolish grin plastered on her face. ''We'll be there as soon as possible.'' Sato nodded, smiling, as the hologram turned off. Someone opened the door, and Hera turned to find Kanan. 

     ''Who were you talking to?''

     ''Sato,'' she murmured. ''I need you to go to the cockpit. Get everyone there because I have a surprise.'' He looked confused, but with a glare, he quietly shuffled out. Hera headed to the cockpit, punching in coordinates for Atollon. By the time the ship had shuddered into hyperspace, everyone else was there.

     Hera turned to regard them all. ''I have a surprise, Sato and I. I need you to keep an open mind about this, all of you. It will blow your mind, so expect a huge surprise.''

     ''Hera,'' Kanan growled, ''what are you hiding?'' Hera shrugged mildly. No one looked happy. But they would be.

     A ship silently passed through the cold, dark vacuum of space. It made its way to an orange-colored planet, the engines the only sound marking its arrival. As the darkness of space lightened to the bright blue color of the sky, there was rustle in the cockpit. Clouds passed, but no one cared. They didn't understand Hera's surprise, and wanted to know.

     Suddenly, Kanan straightened. ''I sense others down there. Caleb.'' He beckoned to his son, who nodded and sat in the seat behind the copilot's chair. The two stretched out with the Force. Hera knew what would happen, so she beckoned to Sabine, pointing behind Kanan. The Mandalorian looked at her funny, but Hera mouthed, ''Just do it.''

     Sabine nodded, slipping behind Kanan. The Jedi's son opened his eyes, looking confused, but his father gasped, features panicked and surprised. ''No!'' he screamed as he fell back out of the chair and into Sabine's arm. Everyone but Hera looked surprised. 

     She knew what they didn't. They were about to. Delta was there, waiting. Sato was there, waiting. ''Look,'' she told the others, ''look out the viewport. Sabine, come take the controls while I get Kanan into the copilot's chair.'' They flocked to the front, curiosity getting the better of them.

     Hera gently lifted Kanan, setting her love in the seat while she waited for their reactions. Sabine paled considerably while Zeb muttered, ''Karabast.'' Kanan was still unconscious; Caleb looked confused and worried for everyone else. 

     Chopper beeped in concern. Kanera had a reaction Hera expected. She, too, paled considerably. Her jaw dropped in a mixture of horror and pleasant surprise. ''No,'' she whispered, the word barely audible. ''No, it can't be.'' Her mother waited for her next word. The word that no one uttered, the name all except Caleb knew. A tear streaked Kana's face as she breathed, ''Ezra.''

     ''Surprise?'' Hera bashfully stated.