Pyramids

The sun beat down on the caravan. Hotter than anything Anne-Marie had ever experienced. "And i thought California was hot." she murmured wiping sweat from her forehead.

"What was that?" the Doctor asked spinning a pillow in his hand.

"Nothing Doctor. How much further?" Anne-Marie asked looking at Cleopatra. The Pharaoh herself seemed un-phased by the heat and humidity. She held her head high with grace and dignity as a queen should. Not a hair out of place. Hands folded in her lap sitting gracefully. Her robes rustling in a wind that seemed to be hitting only her. Her spine straight as she stared off into the curtains of the litter. Her beautiful makeup wasn't streaked and her mouth was set in a thin line.

Cleopatra had been thinking. Who is this curious man and his child companion. A daughter? A servant? Why were they here? Of course they had come to help and she was letting him. He had found out more in one day then all the medicine men and the best doctors in her land could. Of course since they had gotten to close to her sick people they had eventually caught the illness to and those who hadn't... Well they too were in her dungeons raving about how unfair this was how they would never tell a soul. But Cleopatra wasn't quick to trust. She had climbed her way to the throne. She wasn't about to be kicked off of it because of some rumor that a sickness had spread. No. She was going to push through quietly. She just prayed to Ra that this Doctor and his companion will be the answer she had been waiting for. The ones who could fix her problem and rid Egypt of this foul illness. "Not much longer." Cleopatra said. Anne-Marie looked her up and down. It was like Cleopatra was there but at the same time a world away. Possibly thinking of queenly things. She can't be bothered with little girls. 

Anne-Marie coughed. A small one. But it felt like nails were dragging themselves up and down the length of her small throat. Anne-Marie put one hand to her throat as if to sooth it. It did nothing to soothe the aching burning feeling. The Doctor had stopped twirling the pillow and watched Anne-Marie. He was thinking. Coughing. It's nothing. She'd done it before. Maybe she had caught a cold. No. This is Egypt. No possible way she could catch a cold in one of the hottest places on Earth. Then it's just a cough. A simple cough.

NO! The different voices in his head were screaming. This is not a simple cough Doctor! Do something!

 Do what? Clearly there is nothing to be done. 

No reason to upset the poor girl. 

Wife. She's your wife. 

Not yet she isn't. 

Pish posh. Whether she's your wife now or later does not matter. 

She's caught it. 

She has not caught it. 

Look at her! The Doctor did look. Was she a bit paler? Were her hands shaking? She has a greenish tint to her. Not a big noticeable one. The small one where someone might barf but probably won't. The Doctor shook his head to clear his mind then looked again. Nothing. There was Anne-Marie giving him a funny look for staring at her.

"Something on my face?" she asked.

"No of course not! Not a thing on your lovely face." the Doctor said beaming at her. Anne-Marie smiled back shyly and turned her attention to the open curtain in front of her. The Doctor looked too. The Pyramids were coming into view. Not much longer now. The Doctor stuck his head out the curtain a giant smile on his face as he came face to face with one of the men carrying the litter. "Fantastic you lot. Carrying us out here like this. Must be pretty heavy." the Doctor proceeded to jump up and down in the litter. Anne-Marie put a hand over her mouth trying to suppress her laughter.