Van Gogh's Friends

"Hey!" the nurse shouted as the Doctor, Anne-Marie and Van Gogh burst through the front doors and took off down the street.

"So where shall we go!" Van Gogh asked throwing his hands out into the air triumphantly. Was he happy that he was out or happy to be with them?

"How about we just walk around for a bit." Anne-Marie suggested steering the Doctor and Van Gogh down a narrow alley out of sight of the Institute. Behind them the Doctor heard the doors burst open and several shouts in protest some shouting,

"Find them!" and "Don't let that mad man get away." The Doctor smirked as he walked shoving his hands in his pockets.

"What's with the look?" Anne-Marie asked.

"Oh nothing." the Doctor replied with a smile. Anne-Marie rolled her eyes. She let go of van Gogh's arm and he took off like a bird. Jumping, spinning, skipping down the street.

"They don't let us out much!" Van Gogh shouted back at them. He raced up the street then raced back down picking up Anne-Marie and spinning her in the air.

"Whoa there!" Anne-Marie said in surprise, motioning to be let down.

"Right sorry." Van Gogh said seriously before taking off again.

"Very lively right now isn't he?" Anne-Marie murmured to the Doctor.

"Yes, quite." the Doctor replied with a small shake of his head.

"He's going to die isn't he." Anne-Marie stated. It was more of a statement than a question.

"We all die in the end." the Doctor replied simply. Anne-Marie nudged him.

"Don't get philosophical on me." she said with a little laugh. "Everything dies, but you." she added as an after thought. The Doctor shook his head.

"Eventually i will die too." Anne-Marie shook her head.

"The universe still needs you." Anne-Marie told him.

"What will happen when it stops needing me?" the Doctor asked smiling slowly.

"It's always going to need you." Anne-Marie said smiling up at him. The Doctor smiled back and that's when they heard the crash. Anne-Marie and the Doctor looked at each other startled before taking off in the direction of the noise. They found Van Gogh next to a pile of knocked over trashed cans waving his arms around madly.

"THEY'RE COMING FOR ME!" he shouted kicking a trashcan and spilling its contents. "THEY'RE COMING!" he continued, turning toward the Doctor and Anne-Marie. His eyes were white. No pupils or irises. He rushed over to Anne-Marie and closed his hands around her neck. Anne-Marie gasped and pulled at his hands though he wasn't choking her. Just the thought of him squeezing the air out of her lungs was a horrible thought. The Doctor pointed his screwdriver at Van Gogh though Anne-Marie knew that was of almost no help. "They're almost here." Van Gogh whispered. His eyes went back to normal and he collapsed in a heap letting go of Anne-Marie who breathed in deeply before bending down next to Van Gogh. She rolled him over and he seemed to be sleeping.

"Is he going to do that a lot?" Anne-Marie asked looking up at the Doctor who was pocketing his screwdriver. The Doctor shrugged.

"Probably." Anne-Marie sighed and poked his arm. Van Gogh vaulted up.

"Hello. What happened?" he asked scratching the back of his head. The Doctor and Anne-Marie opened their mouths. "No matter. Come on. I would like you to meet my friends." The Doctor and Anne-Marie looked at each other concerned. "Oh come now. They're not far." Van Gogh said motioning for them to follow.