3

Ebony*

When I woke up I was hooked up to everything that you could imagine. I had on a oxygen mask and I could barely do much but reach for the remote to the tv without pulling on my iv and the cords around me.

I was alone, I had no clue where my mom was but the box I had saved from the fire was in the chair next to my bed.

Good I could have something to fall back on now. All my lifesavings was worth it.

I turned on the t.v watching the footage of my home up in flames and listening to the comments of everyone when I went inside.

"That -bleep-crazy! Must be a druggie like her mom!"

"I know that girl! Stop her! She has her whole life ahead of her! She's just a kid!"

I saw the house collapsing on itself and I could hear myself screaming from the inside of the house.

"Look at her mom just standing there like an idiot!"

The camera focused on my mom who was crying and shivering holding herself.

"Who is that?!" Someone yelled.

The camera then focused on Darreko Carter whose name popped up on screen, who had shrugged off his jacket passed it to my mom and started for my burning house. My mouth dropped.

"What is he doing?!" Someone else said, echoing the same question in my head. He didn't even know me! Darreko didn't pause as he took a deep breath and went into the burning house after me.

I couldn't help how hot that made me feel for him. 

We had been inside that burning house a while before the fire truck and ambulance came. Just as they started to spray we were coming out.

Darreko was holding me tightly to his chest. His wrists were bright red from where his cuff links had burned him but he never put me down. They sprayed us down with the hose and quickly gave me a blanket, oxygen mask and put me inside the ambulance followed by my mom and Darreko.

They reran the story back to back, it was on every channel. It even in the headlines. Everybody was speculating what the young business man was doing on my side of town and why he'd saved me from the fire and what type if relationship we had.

Hell ten reporters had already requested to interview me for 'my side of the story' I said no.

There wasn't no my side of anything.

My house burned down and he happened to be around to save me. Maybe he had a hero complex or something.

They simply reported that I refused to talk which made them more suspicious and then they offered me money to talk. Ugh!

The phone rung beside me pulling my attention from the tv and I answered.

"Hello?"

"Ciao Bella. My brother is unprotected in that public hospital and there is a hit out on him. He has a gun on him somewhere. Find him, find it, and protect him." The line went dead.

I didn't wait to think about it. Reguardless of my situation, he had saved me and I wanted to return that favor.

I unhooked myself from the monitor, put on the clothes a nurse had brought since mine were cut off me and raced from the room. I asked the first nurse I saw where Darreko Carter's room was.

"Ma'am I can't give away that info to a stranger."

"I'm the woman he came in with. He's my fiancee." She stared at me a moment before her eyes widened in recognition.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry, I'll take you right to him." She led me directly to the room, knocking twice before she entered and she gasped.

Looking around her, I saw a man in all black holding a syringe with yellow liquid standing over Darreko. He was asleep and the monitor was beeping normally. The man reached behind himself into his waistband and the nurse held her hands up as the man pulled out a gun.

I pushed her out the way as he fired, running to him and trying to knock the gun out his hand before he shot me.

The nurse ran from the room hopefully to get help. It was a silencer on the gun so nobody had heard, I had to hold him off until I had help.

He had a firm grip on the gun and He shot into the ceiling as I kneed him in the balls. He didn't drop to the ground, he grimaced and backhanded me.

Man that smack stung.

"Darreko!" I screamed. This man was trained and I would need help.

Darreko opened his eyes, jumping up as the man and I fought each other. I was a well trained mixed martial artist. I had started leaning really young so I could hold my own but this man wasn't as good as me but he was way heavier and stronger.

With the man distracted by Darreko I was able to get the upper hand and I finally got the gun away from him. Before I could move he punched me in my stomach. The bastard.

"Move, Bella!" Darreko said.

I moved and Darreko shot him. He dropped to the ground and as the door opened we both turned aiming at whoever it was.

"You're late, mio fratello." Darreko said lowering his gun. I was still high on adrenaline and kept my aim high and steady, focused on him. If I fired, I wouldn't miss.

The man wasn't alone, 9 men entered behind him, two immediately aimed at me. I didn't so much as flinch.

"Don't shoot her, she saved my life. This is Ebony." Darreko said waving his hand at the man and picking up the syringe he came with.

I lowered my gun. Moving to stand by Darreko since he was the only one out of these men that I trusted at the moment.

"The bunny hid fangs." The first man said and I recognized his voice from the phone call. He held his hand out to shake,"I'm Reko's brother Antonio."

"If I were a second later, he would be dead. "

I didn't say it to brag or hold it over them. I was just stating a fact. They needed to protect him better. And I wanted them to know I wasn't a bunny with fangs, I was the damn wolf in sheep's clothing.

To Darreko I smiled and held my hand out to shake. "We're even."

He grabbed my hand pulling me into his arm and kissing me.

I was so surprised that he managed to get his tongue in my mouth. It wasn't my first kiss but it was my first time being kissed like this. I was enjoying it too.

I let him use that skillful mouth against me until he pulled away then I smiled at him and said, "definitely even now," before I turned to leave. The men parted for me as I left the room. There were two men directly outside the door and more scattered around. Darreko had to be a very powerful man because the entire floor was shut down. Luckily they let me leave without pause. I saw the nurse waiting for me in front of my door.

"Thank you sooo much. I could've lost my life if it wasn't for you." She hugged me. "I'm Mia. If you ever need anything you call me anytime, I'll be there." She gave me her number and left.

Safely back in my room, I smiled, happy I'd saved two lives. I was surprised that I hadn't seen many police maybe 2 or 3 but if he was mafia like I suspected, I could see why. I drifted off into a half sleep. You know the saying sleep with one eye open? I was paranoid as fuck and couldn't relax all the way. Fucking assassins out to get him and shit and they got me tied to his name. I knew the man was trouble. Now trouble would find me.