20

Later that night we were in the circuit safely. We didn't say much on the helicopter we took to get there, we just held hands. I knew my mom was safe already so I didn't waste my breath pestering Reko with questions, he had enough to worry about anyway. I just wanted him to know he had my full support no matter what he decided.

Antonio had pulled Reko away somewhere the moment we arrived and I hadn't seen nobody else I knew yet. I just wandered around. When I walked into the kitchen I was surprised to see my mother there.

"Ma!"

"Hey baby. I'm glad you're safe."
She hugged me tightly before whispering, "I needed to talk to you. I had a dream about fish swimming. You know what dream I'm talking about?" She glanced at my stomach.

I just stared at her waiting on her to continue. I didn't have any idea of what she was talking about. What damn fish dream?

"The dream of swimming fish means that somebody close to you is preg-" She was cut off by Emilee.

"Ebony! Tony said you were here. I'm so glad you're safe! Are you okay?"

My mom politely cleared her throat.

"Oh hey Ms. Cleo. Sorry for interrupting."

"Its okay, I'll leave you ladies to catch up. I'll talk to you later Ebony."

"I'm okay Emilee. It was pretty frightening, we came so close to dying today but this is my life, a life I choose willingly."

"You've decided?! Oh my god, yay!"

"I think we're meant to be. I belong here. You're all my family now."

"I'm so glad to hear that. I already think of you as my sister. All thats left is for us to fill this villa with babies." Emilee said hugging me.

For some reason at that exact moment I started to get really hot and I pulled away.

"Hot!" I tried to explain to her as took in her hurt face. I sat at the table stripping down to my tank top. "I'm so hot!" She followed me, touching my forehead.

"You feel normal." She said bringing me some water.

I was burning up and starting to get light headed. I started to slump and Emilee caught me.

"Mama!" Emilee called.

"Whats wrong with her?" Martha said coming straight to me and checking my forehead.

"I don't know. Call Reko. Must've been something she ate."

"She's having a heatflash." My mom said, pulling a fan in front on me. Then she shared a creepy looking grin with Martha that Martha looking at her in disbelief. Then Martha returned the creepy grin.

"What are you guys smiling about?"

"Oh nothing." Martha said quickly. "We're just being old women."

They quickly left the kitchen giggling.

"They're up to something."

"Yeaah, we better hide our ovaries."

I laughed just as Reko came running into the kitchen.

"Are you okay? I heard you weren't feeling too good." He checked my forehead.

"I'm okay. Ma said it was a heat flash."

"A heat flash?"

"Yeah. I was hot like really hot for a moment. I got really lightheaded and almost passed out."

"Hmm. I think we should let the doctor check you out just in case. She's already on her way anyway."

"Okay babe." I kissed him on the cheek as the doctor came in.

"Hey guys." She greeted. "I hear you weren't feeling too good?"

"Oh goody the doc's here. Reko, Emilee let me talk to you for a moment." Martha said. Reko followed her out.

I had the impression that Martha was being sneaky but I shrugged it off. Maybe I was tripping.

"And you say you feel much better now? What did you eat today?"

"Well not much."

"We have to get food into you right now." Reko said coming back into the kitchen. He actually started helping Martha in the kitchen. Emilee sat down, pensive.

"I second that." The doctor said."You've had quite a day and you could've been coming out of shock." I listened, doctors knew best after all right?

Martha put a full plate in front of me and made Reko, who was hovering over me like a mother hen, sit down to eat too.

"You both haven't ate much and need all your energy for what's to come. Your days of sleeping in are over." She giggled and Reko gave her a warning look.

I figured she was talking about Mafia business so I didn't think much of what she'd said.

I was just happy to have a home cooked meal.

"Green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, lamb, rams, hogs, dogs..." I sung

"Beans, greens, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken, rabbit." My mom said.

Reko and Martha looked confused but Emilee laughed.

"You name it!" She pitched in between her gasps of laughter.

That was all I needed to hear.

"Beans, greens, potatoes, tomatoes, lamb, rams, hogs, dogs-"

"Beans, greens, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken, turkey, chicken, turkey." My mom finished.

"You name it! You name it!" Emilee chanted!

"Its the you name it challenge going around." Dante said sitting at the table. "Its hilarious." He pulled it up on his phone and showed it to Martha and Reko.

"I love my culture." I said randomly smiling.

"Me too." Reko said giving me bedroom eyes.

"Welp time for you two to get a room because I'm eating right here. Go away with the goo goo eyes." Emilee said.

"Say it again, Reko's leaning in." Dante said.

We laughed and continued eating.

I was happy to be back. I was happy to be... Home.