15

Ebony*

It was risky coming here. I knew but I still came. It was cold as f*ck here too. Alaska, northwest of Canada, is the largest and most sparsely populated U.S. state. It's known for its diverse terrain of open spaces, mountains and forests, with abundant wildlife and many small towns.

My mom was here in a private facility battling cancer, chronic depression, and now recovering from her addiction to crack.

It had been a while since I'd seen or talked to her since she'd stole my entire life savings and left me in the hospital to get high. I'd been thrilled she was gone far enough to do me no more harm and to get the help she desperately needed but wouldn't in the past. Now she didn't have a choice. I had stopped answering her calls and someone else was responsible for her. I was just here to visit.

I expected it to be a very stict policy on visitors but the Secretary let me come right on in the back to see her.

I met her nurse Amy who updated me on her progress outside her room.

"Hello. I'm Ebony Williams, Aliana's daughter."

"Well hello. I'm Amy. Let me update you on your mother's progression first."

"Alright. Is it bad?" She shook her head, smiling.

"Not at all ma'am. When she first arrived she was hysterical constantly screaming she was kidnapped. Darreko requested she have unrestricted access to a phone so we put one in her room even though we usually wait at least two weeks. We showed her around tried to make her as comfortable as we could and she used the phone in her room to call the police but since this is a recovering facility no one took her seriously." She laughed.

"Yeah why would your kidnappers give you a room with a phone." I agreed laughing with her. My heart heavy with thoughts of Reko.

"We keep her room filled with fresh flowers and she has pictures of you and her deceased husband all around her room. I am her constant companion, I'm here with her 24/7 so she's never alone. She gets to go outdoors twice a day like on adult field trips, took a while to build up to that." She added softly.

"Are the drugs gone from her system?"

"Yes but the craving comes and goes. If she stays here for a year she'd be better off."

"How long was her stay here paid up for?"

"Two years."

"Oh." So I had enough time to myself to build myself back up. I'd already gotten a job and I didn't start my 6th semester of college until the summer so I could graduate faster.

I could feel myself relaxing finally. Everything was gonna be okay. Even though I couldn't be with Reko I would be fine. Life would go on. I hadn't given up my dreams of marrying and making a family. Reko never could fit that spot with his lifestyle I knew that but still I got sucked into his world.

Reko*

If someone would've told me two weeks ago my brother would betray me I would've laughed and shot bullets at their feet to make them dance but now here I was in the basement with my mother, father,& my other brothers in mafia questioning Antonio and letting them past judgement.

"I was doing this for us, Reko!"
He kept screaming at me. I couldnt look at him. I hadn't looked at him since Dante had subdued him after Ebony shot him. He had pointed a gun at me and while it seemed time stood still to see who side he was on, Ebony hadn't took any chances she'd shot him in the leg to save me, again.

"Why'd you point the gun at him then?" My father asked calmly. Between him and me, I couldn't tell who was the most hurt. My mom stood silently beside him holding his hand, she hadn't let him go since they saw each other again. I hated that I'd missed their reunion but I'm happy they reunited.

"I had to trick Giovanni." I turned my back on him. I wanted to believe him but he'd had to been feeding Giovanni real information about my moves.

"Why?" I asked him.

"He found a way to contact me. Asked me if I had a chance to see mom and Gabby what would I give him."

"You decided not to tell me. You allowed Arlo to remain on the inside knowing he was a threat. I lost Ebony because I trusted you!" I lunged at him and Dante blocked me. "Go cool down son." My dad said.

I walked out before I could wrap my hands around Antonio's throat.

I wandered the halls wondering what was next. I had my family back. Kinda. I couldn't truly enjoy their presence because I'd lost Ebony in the process. My heart was broken.

I knew she hadn't meant to hurt me. None of us. My dad, Emilee, my men. She'd grew on us and now she was gone.

I walked past the library to see Gabby with her head in a book.

I managed a half smile as I stopped and stood in the doorway.

"What are you reading?"

"Twilight."

I wanted to snatch that book from her immediately. I remembered Ebony talking about how hot Edward and Jasper were and how Jacob was fat now in real life. She'd made me watch all of the movies at least 3 times. She tried to make me pick team Edward or team Jacob but had smacked me on the back of my head when I chose team Bella. Breaking Dawn pt 2 was my favorite of the series but I'd never told her that. I couldn't get her out of my head.

I sighed, turning to go to my room. Gabby's words stopped me.

"She's waiting on her knight in shining armor to drop everything to save her from eternal sleep. True loves kiss will make everything alright again."

I walked to her and kissed both of her cheeks and tickled her making her giggle.

"Thanks little sister."

I knew what I had to do.

I grabbed my phone.

"Dante. Find out where Ebony is."