25

Ebony

Going public with my pregnancy was so hard. Reko had been afraid that someone would see me as a weakness forgetting that I was no damsel in distress. It was the perfect time to strike, I knew that. To Reko, I was perfectly vulnerable especially since I couldn't balance myself anymore.

But to his surprise, it was like my pregnancy brought the circuit together again. Everyone was socializing more and the gifts were just piling up.

I knew everything wasn't just all peaches and cream. Reko had caused some of their loved ones to die and here I was bringing a child into the world when fathers and mothers had just lost their own child.

I had been able to finally put my education degree to use by teaching at the elementary school in the circuit and whenever you worked with children they tell you things you wouldn't expect to know.

Especially when preschoolers overhear the whispers of angry older siblings that had loss someone close to them. I had told Reko and he was keeping close watch over certain families now. Reko wondered why he hadn't thought of it sooner. He was realizing he had more weak points than he had originally expected and he hadn't been taking that thought well at all.

I was now in my 9th month of pregnancy, just waddling around the house waiting on Reko to come home. Shortly after I reached my 35th week of pregnancy, Reko moved me into a safe house. It was a small 3 bedroom home in the suburbs outside the circuit.

It was just me and him. Nobody else knew about it but his most trusted men and Mia, who would be helping us deliver our little man, Marco Alessandro.

I had been having lower back pain for a while now but didn't want to worry Reko. I kept putting it off as Braxton's Hicks contractions because every other time I had told Reko, he had called Mia only to find out it was a false alarm. Seeing the disappointment on his face when he realized our child wasn't coming broke my heart so I had learned to suffer through the pain alone.

Reko and I weren't on the best of terms lately, because after I reached my 8th month I couldn't do things the same which was expected.

He had grown impossibly over protective and paranoid, like I wasn't a fucking butterfly. I didn't like that he had moved me all the way out here, away from everyone I loved.

He wouldn't allow anyone to visit me because of the risks to my safety. It could've been my hormones making me feel like it was more than it was though, I mean we were in my dream house. We were living like I had always imagined I would with my husband one day, but I gave it all up.

I didn't regret it. Not a single thing.

I doubled over in pain as Marco kicked with a ferocity that would probably rival one of my own kicks. I smiled through the pain, reaching to pat my belly as he kicked again just as hard if not harder. He was sick of being cooped up in there. I knew the feeling.

"Hey little man, I know you're a little frustrated with how slow things a progressing as well but take it easy on me."

The kicks got lighter as if he had heard and understood me.

"I'm counting down the minutes until I can meet you as well." I whispered back to my belly. "So many people are awaiting your arrival." There was a small kick in reply and I giggled. I couldn't wait to meet my son.

Before I could take another step suddenly my water broke.

"Damn I didn't expect you to take my words so literal, your dad's gonna bust a ball!"

I quickly dialed Reko.

"I'm on my way now, baby girl. Everything alright?"

"My water just broke, Reko."

"Oh fuck, I am not ready!" I could hear cars suddenly blowing the horn and I imagined him swerving the car in panic. I rolled my eyes.

"Calm. The. Fuck. Down. I am the one who is pushing a baby out of my vagina."

"Oh God, that's worse, we won't be able to gave sex until you heal! Oh Fuck, I'll have to share your breasts too!"

I simply hung up the phone to dial Mia, I could not deal with Reko right now. You'd think that he'd come to terms with​ the fact that he'd have to share me at this point. He had 9 months.

"Hello? Mia speaking..."

"Hey Mia, it's Ebony. My water just broke."

"OMG the baby's coming!" She let out a very excited squeak. "Text me your location and I'll drive straight there immediately."

"Just did. I got to go, I have to prepare the supplies. "

Alright I'm on my way! I'll see you as soon as possible Ebony. Try to hold little Reko until I arrive!"

I hurried around the house, prepping the bed and getting our tub nice and warm.

Reko had been calling me repeatedly me since I hung up so I finally picked up.

"Baby it's okay, I'm just prepping the bed and bath. I'll keep you on speaker while I finish up here."

"Good, I am losing my shit woman."

"Change your tone or this woman will be keeping her legs closed long after I heal."

"I'm sorry baby. I'm just afraid I won't make it in time."

"It's okay baby, let's video chat." We switched to video and then there was three knocks at the door.

"Who's that?" I peaked out the peep hole to see an crying Mia. I figured she was just really worried.

"It's Mia baby, you have nothing to worry-" As soon as I opened the door Mia came flying at me knocking the phone out of my hand and onto the floor.

"Run! Ebony!"

"What?" I was able to steady us both but then Mia was pistol whipped and knocked into the glass table in the center of the living room, she didn't move afterwards.

Reko was shouting on the phone but I couldn't hear a word he was saying... I hoped with everything in me that Mia wasn't dead. She didn't deserve death, she had done nothing. She was such a good person. And Antonio...

I heard the crunch of the phone as the man stepped on it cutting off Reko's voice then nothing else but my heart beating like a drum.

I stared in alarmed into the gleeful eyes of the man who held a gun to my belly.

"Found you, bitch."