16

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year

Ebony*

My mother was always like a faded trophy to me but seeing her now she looked like polished gold.

Her lifeless face, hair, and body had been returned to its former glory. She was beautiful.

She was in her bathroom when the nurse let me in and I sat on the couch to wait for her but she came out, stared at me in disbelief then ran to hug me tightly.

"Ebony!"

I didn't hug her back. "Hey Stranger."

I was still hurt by her actions and I wanted her to know that.

"I thought you'd never come, Ebony. You never answered my calls or letters..."

"I wasn't in the right frame of mind for whatever you had to say."

"I'm sorry Ebony. I am soo sorry. There's probably no way I can make it up to you-"

"You can. Get clean. Another relapse or if you runaway I'll never talk to you again. I'll come back in 6 months. Bye."

I got up to leave.

"Wait. I have something for you."

I paused turning around to see her holding a medium sized box with my name on it.

"What is it?"

"Open it when you get home and only when you get home. I love you." She hugged me and kissed my cheek and I left with the box.

When I made it home I ripped the box open. It was the pictures that I'd left at Antonio's home, a box of chocolates from Italy, and a beautiful bath set that expensive ultra moisturizing body wash, skin nourishing body cream, fragrance body mist, a bath bomb and shower pouf.

There was no note so I couldn't help wondering if this was Reko's way of saying goodbye. I felt the sudden urge to cry and throw everything in the trash but I didn't. I ran my bath and put the bomb in it while eating the chocolate and crying like a baby.

I'm not sure how long I stayed in there but once the water got tepid, I got out and let the water drain.

I washed my face and brushed my teeth then I heard the water making a weird draining sound so I turned to look.

It was the ring that Reko had given me caught in the drainage.

I quickly picked it up and dried it off. I stared at it for a long time before something clicked.

"Oh fuck!"

Thing ring could be tracked. Reko was coming!

Antonio* (Reko's Brother)

I knew I was playing an dangerous game but I had it under control until Arlo joined. I had the choice of killing him outright but I knew bring him in would make Giovanni trust me more. It was a hard decision but it had to be done. It worked and he let me see my familia finally.

Before I only saw new pictures, videos, or talked to them over the phone. Finally I could see their faces. To me, they were worth it.

But Ebony leaving Reko wasn't supposed to happen.

I was just supposed to set Giovanni up to die, get my mom and my little sister and finally be done with this shit.

But I played my role too well by pointing a gun on Reko now nobody believed it was an act. I couldn't stay with him in the hospital. I immediately was taken to my home.