1. Thranduil x Reader

You were an orphan, in desperate need of a job. You had come of age and so had no legal guardian. Finding yourself slowly running out of time and energy, you turned to the last place you might be able to find shelter and work. You waited anxiously outside the doors of the halls of Thranduil. Searching for work here was like swinging in the dark, your chances of success were near to nothing, but you had no other choice. You hadn't eaten properly in days and were undeniably ill. You were pale and weary but your E/C eyes still shone with hope. Making yourself as presentable as possible, you gathered your H/C locks into a high ponytail. You knew this palace was the end of the line. Taking a deep breath, you knocked lightly on the doors and stepped back carefully.

Moments later, a brunette elf with an apron tied around her waist opened the door and looked down at you. You knew this elf to be one of the king's maids. Bowing low, you respectfully greeted her, your eyes fixated on the floor. She gestured for you to stand. "May I help you?" The woman frowned, noting your fair but unwell complexion. "If I may, I should like to speak to someone about a position of work in the palace. I have no home and no family and I am in need of money." You explained politely. The elf nodded understandingly "Have you any experience in sewing, cooking or keeping horses?" She questioned you. "No." You admitted embarrassed, but continued "Though I am a fast learner and keen to help in anyway I can." Feeling sorry for you, and seeing how faint you were from your travels, the woman invited you inside the palace. Thankfully, you entered. As you walked inside, you marvelled at the intricate designs etched into the walls and pillars. You admired the delicate paintings which adorned the hallways. You were so lost for words, you didn't realise that the elf was quite far ahead of you and was waiting for you to catch up. Hurriedly, you scurried to her side, smiling apologetically. She found your amazement rather amusing. Winding your way through a maze of corridors and rooms, you eventually stopped in a small secluded corner of the castle and cautiously walked through a door which led to what could be described as a drawing room. The she-elf offered you a seat and brought you a glass of sweet mead but you declined it, finding the sickly notes of floral and honey far too overpowering. As the two of you got comfortable, the woman asked you your name and began to investigate your situation. You explained the loss of your parents, you being an only child and just coming of age. You had come from the south, a small house across the Old Ford. The elf gasped "My Y/N, you came all that way alone?!" Frowning, not understanding why that would be so surprising, you nodded solemnly. It was a long trek but not unheard of.

After about two hours of talking, the elf, who you now knew to be Luindis, stood and asked you to follow her. Obediently, you went with Luindis to a grand hall where awaited a decision. The two of you set foot in the hall. All around flowers in vases were set on tables bringing a new-spring feeling to the atmosphere. You spied a tall, blond, elf in the corner of the room, gently rearranging a vase of roses. The King. You thought, your heart thumping violently at the idea of meeting him. You had heard many things about King Thranduil, mostly bad. His reputation for having no tolerance for non-elven folk had made you wary of him for years. His strikingly blue eyes flashed up from the flowers to meet yours. Apprehensively, you moved closer to him, Luindis leading you. "Your highness," She curtsied attentively. Thranduil scowled at them "Who is this?" His eyes traced over you, making you suddenly much more self-conscious. Luindis replied "This is Y/N. She seeks work in the palace." Thranduil shrugged "So? I have no interest in hiring children." He scoffed. Luindis straightened up, and heedfully defended you "She is not a child. She is starving." The king's demeanour changed when he heard this. He felt slightly guilty but would not let it show. Luindis elaborated "Y/N has travelled from north of Lórien, she is orphaned, and is willing to work in the palace in return for shelter and food." Luindis was almost begging King Thranduil. He listened intently and then stated "We have no spare positions, I will not allow her to work here." Broken and hopeless, you sighed and began to turn away when Luindis spoke bravely "I was not asking for permission my King. I will take her as my apprentice, my responsibility. You will not stop me from helping one of our own." You stared in awe at Luindis, so grateful for your newfound friendship. Luindis protectively put an arm around your shoulders. Thranduil was not expecting this and paused, speechless. Relenting, he huffed "Fine. She is yours to teach. Go now." As you both started to walk away, you felt a strong hand grip your wrist. Menacingly, Thranduil pulled you close and snarled quietly "For whatever reason, she has taken an interest in you. You are lucky she is my best maid. Otherwise both of you would have been thrown out of my palace within seconds. I will be keeping my eye on you." You held your breath, frightened by Thranduil's glare. He let go of your hand just as Luindis turned and noticed you were not leaving with her. Shaken, you stumbled over to Luindis who watched you worriedly. She had not heard Thranduil's words, nor would you ever tell her. Taking your hand, she led you back through the door and off into your new home. Thranduil's eyes trailed after you, a strange interest filling his head. There was something curious about you. Perhaps your genuine smile or honest voice. Luindis took you into the kitchen, sat you on a stool and smiled excitedly "So... Shall we get you something to eat, my dear?"