5. Legolas x Reader

So. Guess who's back.

First off: I AM SO SORRY TO EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN WAITING FOR ME TO FINISH REQUESTS I CANNOT POSSIBLY EXPRESS HOW SORRY I AM AND I HOPE I CAN MAKE IT UP TO YOU ALL SOME HOW!!!!

Secondly: 26 THOUSAND READS!?!? OMG YOU GUYS?! I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH THANK YOU <3<3<3

And lastly: I'm probably going to post an author's note, explaining why I disappeared into the void for a good few months, so please read it!!

This story was requested by chats_little_fox I am so sorry for the wait, but thank you so much for the fantastic idea and all of the support you've shown me, I appreciate it so much <3 I really hope you enjoy...

Mirkwood was brimming with excitement and anticipation early one morning, buzzing like bees around a hive as they worked tirelessly to clean up the palace and the forests surrounding them. The kingdom had been waiting weeks to hear the news, and finally it had been confirmed- their very own prince was to be wed. And in preparation for the ceremony, people were piling into the palace, for the engagement party of Prince Legolas. Lightning surged through the air as the people of the kingdom awaited the arrival of one very special person- the bride to be... you.

You, yourself, were not feeling as confident as you should have. When your father initially told you you were to be married to a stranger, you screamed and cried and begged for anything else, but he was persistent. For your entire life you had dreamed of growing up and having adventures, not being tied down to some man you didn't even know! And yet here you were- doing as your father bid, travelling through a dark forest, headed for a dark future for all you could see.

While you trotted along on horseback, amongst the thorny branches and towering trees, you could find but only one reason to smile- Link, your best friend, was by your side just as it should be. Not only was he your best friend, but he was your personal guard too which meant you spent almost every hour of every day together. No time has gone by where you have not seen each other for more than a day since you were six years old and Link was eight. You had a bond strengthened by duty, love and time which no one could ever take away from you. But, when Link found out you were to marry a pompous, gilded prince, he was furious! He did everything he could to stop the arrangement from happening, but despite his persistent efforts, it made no difference. Your father's mind was made up. Honestly, Link could not lie to himself and pretend he had any other motive aside from wanting you to be free for him, not to be together but he had a deep fear that you would leave him behind once you were married. He was being selfish. Still, he hoped nothing between you would change. He knew everything about you; every feeling and every thought you had was as clear as day to Link, and the same for you with him. And now you travelled together to a strange, new place with only each other for consolation.

Link rode upon his trusty sorrel, Epona. She was beautiful with a strong spirit, no other horse was better suited for Link. You remembered how he told you all those years ago "It was not I that chose her, she decides." He loved that horse more than anything. For as long as you could think back to, he had put all his trust in her. The thought brought a small smile to your red lips, and your gaze wandered to the floor as you were encapsulated in a dream. Link watched you carefully while you were lost in thought, thinking back to the time when he first looked at you as something more than just a princess, you were the most wonderful person he knew. As you grew into young adults, he began to wonder if, after all this time, he loved you. He was certain that he had a crush on you for a long time, but he didn't think it was love in that sense. It's not that those confusing feelings ever went away, he learnt to deal with them slowly over time. Every so often, though, he would feel something small inside, like a candle in a dark room. Like right then, when you began to smile, a small burst of love fluttered in his heart and he could not deny that. Both of you knew you would never be together, his extended feelings were simply unrequited by you.