5. Bilbo x Reader

Hiya guys! This one was requested by Lexiclee - I hope this is 'major adorableness' as you asked ^_^ I really hope you like it, I don't really know how to write fluff but I tried! I loved doing something slightly different this time so thanks for requesting! :D Here you go...

Flawless, white sheets of snow blanketed the Shire, enveloping it in the comforting and secure embrace of Winter. All was still throughout the village, nothing disturbed the picturesque scenery. The light twittering of birds, alongside the babbling of the stream, were the only sounds to be heard for miles and the surreal tranquillity of the forests that afternoon made it seem as though the Shire had been plucked out of a fairytale.

Silence blew about the houses, so one might have believed the whole settlement had been deserted. But in actuality, hundreds of Hobbits were curled up inside their holes, tucked under blankets, drinking tea, eating cookies, and sheltering from the snowy weather outside. The only thing that gave away their presence, was the tendrils of smoke which arose from a chimney in the corner of the Shire known as Bag End.

Within this hole under the hill, two Hobbits rested on an armchair, their fingers entwined. Bilbo sat with his feet propped up on a footstool, and you had your legs draped across his lap with your back pressed against the arm of the chair. Much like the other residents, you too were hiding away from the frost which bit at your windows, but you were happy all the same.

Of course, the chilling wind was not the only reason the Hobbits were gathering in front of the fire... Today was Christmas Eve! Your favourite time of year, when everyone gets to share stories and laughter and memories to last them a lifetime (or at least until next year!). Though you were sceptical, you truly believed that Christmas time brought magic to your small village. And what's better, it was your first Christmas Eve with Bilbo. Your perilous adventures had taught you not to take for granted the moments like this; the two of you were sat, reading different books, but still enjoying each other's silent company. At one point, you spotted him looking away from his book and instead staring at you. When you caught his gaze, you smiled a little, unable to hide the blush that was creeping up onto your cheeks. He returned the smile effortlessly and then he turned back to his book. Bilbo had a habit of zoning out sometimes and often he would watch you, but you always wondered what was going through his head. Could it be thoughts of this past year? Since returning to the Shire, Bilbo had proposed and you wed a few months later. The time you spent together was precious, but you sometimes had doubts that Bilbo was not truly happy unless he was travelling.

The two of you had spent the whole day decorating the house, putting up the tree, gathering the presents and tidying. You were expecting guests that evening- your friends from Thorin's company. When you heard that they would be coming to visit, you were overjoyed and insisted they stayed for Christmas day. Though you were elated, you couldn't help but feel strange, in a sense. There was something you'd been meaning to speak to Bilbo about but hadn't found the time and while it wasn't urgent, you felt he would want to know:

That morning, you'd awoken a sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach and had to rush to the bathroom. You heaved, retching in the sink, then you cleaned up and re-emerged moments later. As you returned to your room, Bilbo stirred and dragged himself up from your bed. He offered you a sleepy grin and hugged you tightly, mumbling "Good morning, beautiful." Still out of sorts, you didn't respond. Your thoughts were jumbled and you weren't sure where this bout of sickness had come from. However, you would not let it deter you- this was going to be the best Christmas ever, you told yourself.

You and Bilbo were so immersed in your books that you almost didn't hear the faint knocking which sounded from your door. Placing your book aside, you began to get up. But Bilbo placed a hand on your shoulder and pulled you back down "They can wait a minute," he spoke quietly "I was enjoying that." You smirked and he gently pecked you on the lips. Then, he slid off the chair and brushed himself off, straightening his waistcoat. With a wistful glance, he turned and headed towards the front door. Pulling your knees up onto the cushion, you immediately took a disliking to his absence. It was cold and you wanted him to cuddle you again. Through the hall, you could hear the jolly voices of Bifur, Bofur and Bombur greeting Bilbo. Smiling to yourself, you went to stand but felt suddenly dizzy and felt your stomach churn. You sped to the bathroom and locked the door hurriedly before retching just like earlier that morning. Once you were finished, you started cleaning miserably- you just wanted to know why you were sick on Christmas Eve!