2. Bilbo x Reader

*Narrator's POV*

On a still morning in spring, the inhabitants of the Shire lay quietly in their beds, not a worry to be found. As the sun's unobtrusive rays filtered through the trees, not a sound could be heard, save the melodic hello's of birds and other forest-dwellers. All was peaceful, apart from in one corner of a sequestered field, where an awfully shy creature sat, feeling lonesome with only her thoughts for company. Y/N enjoyed the breeze which caressed her rosy cheeks, knowing it would not last. Eventually, she would have to return to her home, where she spent days upon days tidying, cleaning, mending for her horrible step aunt. Y/N dreaded the idea of having to hear her scream commands at her all the time, and ordering her about. The only thing that truly kept Y/N going was her best friend, Bilbo Baggins. On rare occasions, Y/N could escape and find Bilbo who was always waiting for her. They often left hidden messages for each other around the Shire when they could not speak in person. They would meet and he would take her away into the forests and the hills of the Shire and they would pretend as though they lived completely different lives. That freedom, though only temporary, made Y/N the loving person she was. Sometimes, when her aunt realised Y/N had been spending time with Bilbo (often from her dusty clothes or the content smile which danced across her face), she would punish her by not letting her leave the house for weeks on end. It pained Bilbo to watch someone he cared about so much be controlled by someone he hated and he had tried so hard to protect her, but it seemed impossible to save her from her own reality. For as long as he had known her- which was a very long time- he had loved her with all his heart, he loved how despite having every reason to be bitter at the world, kindness influenced her every action. He often referred to her as his "Cinderella" as a gentle sign that in his eyes, she was a princess. Despite having every right to hate the world she lived in, she found it within herself to trust him. Bilbo had wished to tell her how special she was, how important she was, but he believed that someone as beautiful as her could not love something like him. And so, he spent his days watching her suffer, hoping that someday he could be her prince.

*Your POV*

After a long and laborious day, slaving over your aunt, you began to miss Bilbo's company. Luckily tonight your aunt was going to a party and would not be back until early hours- and when she did return, she would not be sober enough to stay awake for long. Excitedly, you grabbed your cloak and ran to the door. As you grabbed the handle, you heard a chilling voice halt you. "And just where do you think you are going?" Your aunt hissed venomously. Stuttering, you took a deep breath. "To... Um... To the market!" You lied. "We need some vegetables for dinner. I promise I won't be long." You smiled convincingly. With resentment seeping through her voice, your aunt huffed "Fine. But I'll be waiting when you get back." Nervously, you gripped the door handle, opened the door welcoming a flood of fresh air, and fled. You sprinted as fast as your legs could carry you, to a little hobbit hole with a familiar, large, green door. Having no time, you peered in through the window, noted the lack of lights and decided to leave Bilbo a message. Breathing heavily against the glass, it began to fog up. Then using your finger, you drew the words Brandywine Bridge- sundown. Slowly, the message faded, only for knowing eyes to see again. Pleased with yourself, you turned and hurried to the market to buy food which you didn't really need for dinner but was supposed to be the purpose of your visit. Once you returned home, you knew it was just a few hours until you could see him.

*Narrator's POV*

Bilbo returned to his quiet home from the Green Dragon, where he had met with some of his distant relatives for the afternoon. Upon entering his home, he sensed something slightly amiss. Running one hand through his dark blond curls, while the other held a pile of books, he took a turn about the room scanning for changes. It was only when he returned to where he had started, that he spotted a faint smudge on the window closest to the door. Inspecting it, he slid his thumb across the glass, and realised the mark had been made on the outside. A thought struck him like lightning as he threw open the door and shuffled to the window. Gently, he breathed against the glass, revealing the message which Y/N had left for him earlier. Smiling to himself happily, it occurred to Bilbo how close it was till sundown. Jumping, he dropped his books on the floor, shut the door and quickly made his way to the Brandywine Bridge, elated to finally see Y/N again.