2. Thorin x Reader

Birds awoke you early in the morning with their melodious greetings from outside your window. Stretching, your lips curled into a small smile. You hadn't felt this at peace for a long time. Having defeated Smaug and reclaimed Erebor, you found yourself with much more time on your hands. You wished the same could be said for your husband, Thorin, but since being crowned King Under the Mountain, he had been swamped with meetings and duties. Deep down you missed his company. Trying to forget your sadness, you glided to the cupboard tucked into the corner of your room, and picked an outfit for the day. You decided upon a simple, white tunic, and a pair of light brown, skinny trousers, finished with a brown, leather jacket. Throwing it on quickly, you grabbed a book from your collection which you kept on top of the chest of drawers. The halls of Erebor were quiet, apart from the odd servant scurrying along. Many of them stopped to bow to you- being the King's wife, you were widely respected, but it sometimes made you feel uncomfortable. Before long, you reached the main entrance to the mountain. You felt the chill winter wind warding you away, telling you to stay inside, but you didn't listen. Nodding to the guards who were posted by the door, you happily sauntered out of the hall- there had to be something more interesting to do out there.

You had reached the old city of Dale when you considered that you had gone out far enough. Climbing over rock and ruin, you spotted a lilliputian creature shivering in the distance. Having found your adventure, you jumped over, round, under and through the tangle of forgotten homes and history. You walked until you came across the thing which had caught your eye earlier. The poor thing cowered behind a slab of rock, using the shadow like a blanket. You called to it "Hello there. I'm not going to hurt you. Look." You cautiously bent down on your knee and offered your hand out. Curiously, the fluffy ball craned to study you, then decided you were not a threat. It waddled out and began to rub it's muzzle against your outstretched palm. You laughed and stroked it gently "You must have come from Lake Town." Searching for anyone around, you picked up the kitten (it was small enough to fit snuggly into your hands when you cupped them) and tucked it into your jacket, out of reach from the cold. The feline was gentle and playful, so you assumed it was young. It's silvery-grey fur was dirty from exploring in the rubble. Something inside you loved the idea of having a pet, but what would Thorin say? It seemed that recently he was far too preoccupied to notice anything you did. Then a thought struck you- he wasn't around most of the time, so maybe he didn't have to know...

You hurried back to the gates of Erebor and tried to remain as inconspicuous as possible when passing the guards. Then, you half walked- half jogged to your chambers, where you locked the door and let the kitten down on the floor. At first, it didn't know what to think of its new surroundings, but eventually it became far too intrigued to stand still any longer. Crawling around the floor, it slipped under the cupboard and reappeared moments later which made you giggle. You watched it happily make itself comfortable. But then, it leapt up onto your bed and wriggled on the clean, crisp sheets. You gasped and quickly picked it up and ran into the bathroom. You wouldn't have minded it on the bed, except it was still covered in dust. So you decided to give it a bath. Running a shallow pool for the kitten, you glided your hand across the water to check the temperature. Placing it down, it immediately jumped up and tried to bolt back to the bedroom, but you caught it. It was in absolute hysterics, like a child protesting against eating their dinner. Trying again, the kitten had a less panicked reaction and instead poked the water making little waves. While it was distracted, you poured some water on its head and began to clean it. The dirt ran away easily and you realised that the kitten was a shade lighter than before. You also noticed while you washed it that the kitten was a girl, and you wanted to give her a name. You chose 'Liath Rós' meaning 'grey rose' or just 'Rós' for short. Snatching a towel from the railing, you wrapped Rós up warmly and rubbed her so she would dry. When you took her back into the main room, you let her go on your bed this time, and she flopped down onto a pillow and purred. Something strange lingered in the back of your mind, were you missing something? At that thought, Rós started to meow. Panicking, you shushed her softly and picked her up. Maybe she was hungry. You put her on the floor and walked to your door, unlocking and opening it. Luckily a maid was passing by at that moment, so you stopped her and asked if she would fetch you a small plate of chicken- plain chicken. The maid nodded, but not before flashing you a slightly concerned look. Closing the door, again you waited. After a while, a knock came from the door and you answered immediately. The maid presented the plate of chicken to you and thanked her as you took it and dismissed her. Shutting the door, you locked it once more. Rós had clearly already smelt the food because she was striding up to you confidently. You placed it on the floor and she nosed it a few times before beginning to eat. She stuffed herself because she hadn't eaten well in a long time. Contently, you sat with Rós and stroked her while she devoured her food.