Teary-eyed.

I watched Riella cry, stroking the animal she held close to her chest. I didn't know why I chased her. When I opened my mouth, I was at a lost for words, and shifted back into my human form, sitting next to the tree she was near. As the moon rose and then sun fell, I slowly drifted off into a terrifying nightmare.

"No! You can't do this to me!" Shouts echoed through the hallway. My long ears perked up as I lay in the white bed, staring at the white walls. I got up, wincing in pain, and walked to the door, peeking through the slot. A girl, 2 years younger than me, was being dragged by two scientists, and I heard a door slam shut as she was forced into her room.

My door swung open, and and a scientist stepped back in surprise. "Subject 31," she said. It was the same doctor who had shown me to the Grinding Room. "We have a new subject. Now that I trusted to show you the Grinding Room, I will have you do the same. We are very busy right now, so we need you to show her to room. Remember, there are cameras. We will be watching you, so don't try anything."

I nod, gulping. The woman lead me to the room where the girl had been sent into. She opened the door, and a short little girl with silver hair stared up at me. Her face was red, her eyes puffy.

"Hi," I say, giving her a friendly smile. The scientist nodded. "I need to show you the Grinding Room."

The girl tilted her head in confusion. "What?" she asked. The scientist sighed.

"I'll leave you to figure it out. You two need to be back in your cells by 14:00."

As the scientist walked away, the girl seemed to lose tension, and looked more comfortable. "What's the Grinding Room?" she asked in a high, squeaky voice.

I let out a sigh. "It's a scary place, but we'll go together." I reach out a hand, and she takes it, smiling. "We'll face it...."

"Together."

I woke from my dream, relieved it was better. Then I realized the message. I couldn't let Riella feel like this. She had nudged me awake, and started to climb the tree. Small leaves dropped onto my nose, and I sneezed.

I looked up the see Riella's knives hanging from the chains. I slowly reached up, standing, and tucked them into their sheathes. I started to climb the tree, and she looked down, tears welling up.

"I'm truly sorry, I won't do this again, I promise," she said, cradling the small creature. I pulled her into an embrace, showing her that I forgave her.

"I'm sorry too," I mumbled, but realized by her shallow breaths that she had already fallen asleep. One foot on the trunk to keep the three balanced, I looked out at the moon, and let my eyes close once again.