Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four
19th December

Andy
Sitting in the hospital I tapped my foot as my impatience grew. The paramedics had taken Alex into the operation room almost an hour ago and I was still waiting to hear from someone. Anyone who could just tell me what the hell was going on. As a nurse rushed out of the room I followed after her.

"Excuse me? What's happening?" I asked as she looked up at me.

"We're monitoring the mother and child to see what's wrong. The Doctor can explain it to you when he comes out," the nurse answered before rushing down the white halls.

Sitting back down outside Alex's room I buried my face in my hands. My head throbbing as I tried to make sense of what had happened. All the police had said was that someone Alex knew had kidnapped her, the only people Alex had mentioned, Sophia and Phil. Phil was currently in prison and Sophia was out of town the week she'd disappeared. Sighing I rubbed my face as the sound of shoes approached me.

"Are you Andrew?" a voice asked.

"Uh, I prefer Andy," I answered as I looked up to see a doctor wearing a white coat.

"Andy, Alex is out of surgery, but we've been monitoring her progress and the baby's. The baby is premature and is currently on oxygen but she has a sixty-five percent survival rate. We will continue to monitor both the baby and Alex. They'll most likely still be in here for another two to three weeks depending on the babies health. Do you have any questions?" The doctor asked as he looked up from his board.

"Uh.. No, thank you," I answered, trying to process everything the doctor had said.

The doctor nodded before leaving me standing alone. Swallowing my fear I walked into the hospital room, my line of sight being dragged to a crib that was a few metres from the hospital bed. Standing before the crib a smile broke over my features as I looked at the small baby wrapped in a pink blanket. Looking closer at the baby I frowned in realisation, the baby's skin was red and wrinkled with a tube to both her mouth and nose.

"There to help her breath and eat," a voice spoke.

Turning around I looked at Alex as she wrapped her dressing gown tighter around her body. Her skin was pale, deprived of any colour, her once vibrant blue eyes were dull.

"Alex," I whispered, rushing forward to hug her.

"Don't," she whispered, flinching away from my outstretched arms.

Wincing, I dropped my arms and took a step back.

"Alex, what... what happened?" I asked, trying to hide the pain that it had caused me.

"I don't want to talk about it. Please... Just... Just leave," Alex asked, avoiding my eyes as she climbed into the hospital bed.

"Alex, stop trying to push me away, please," I begged as I stood there, conflicted.

"If you don't leave I'll get a nurse to make you leave."

"Alex..." hesitating I let out a sigh of defeat.

"I'll come back later to check on you both," I promised.

Alex didn't answered, instead she rolled onto her side, wrapping the blanket tighter around her small frame. Glancing down, I left the room with a heavy heart.

~

Hey guys,

Happy New Year.

Sorry this chapter is so short. I know I've been slacking with this but I'm having troubles finishing it even though I want to.

I want you guys to pick the name of Alex's little girl. So submit a name in the comments and I'll pick one at random.

But I have good news, there's four chapters left guys. Yes, four.

You can find me on Social media on Twitter where I post about my stories or on my Tumblr where I write imagines and other stuff. Both of these accounts have the same username which is ewfilthymundane