Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five
January 18th

The shrill sound of a baby crying awoke me from my sleep, squeezing my eyes further closed I tried to ignore the sound. I just wanted to sleep. I just wanted that thing to shut up. Why wouldn't she be quiet? I'd fed her almost an hour ago.

"Alex, go back to sleep, I'll get her," a tired voice mumbled.

Giving a faint nod I pulled the blanks tighter around my body as tears started to well up in my eyes. I couldn't look at her, at Isabella. She looked like me but was a constant reminder of Phil. Of the years of abuse, of the years when no one noticed. Stifling the tears I listened to the baby monitor, listening to Andy speak hushed words to Isabella.

"Shhh Izzy, shhh. It's okay, it's okay I'm here. Let's get rid of those tears okay beautiful?" Andy's hushed voice crackled through the monitor.

Looking at the monitor I listened as Andy's soft voice crackled and echoed through to my end.

"The other night dear, as I lay sleeping. I dreamed I held you in my arms. But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken."

As Andy sang Amy favourite song I felt more tears welling up.

Sucking in a breath I mumbled the next few lines as Andy sang them, "So I hung my head and I cried. You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away. I'll always love you and make you happy."

Turning off the monitor I buried my face in the pillows as he continued to sing. The soft gurgling of Isabella dying down as she, presumably, fell asleep in Andy's arms. After a few minutes Andy walked back into our shared room, trying to be quiet. As the bed dipped with his weight I turned around and looked at him.

"Alex what's wrong?" Andy mumbled, his voice still full of sleep.

"How have you bonded with her so easily?" I asked as the tears fell once more.

"Alex you just need to give her some time, remember what the nurse said? That some babies and mothers take longer to bond," he whispered, his hand reaching out and finding mine as he clutched my hand in his.

Despite the lights being off I nodded my head. Knowing that Andrew couldn't see it.

"Give it some time okay baby?" He whispered.

"Okay," I whispered as the feeling of pain tightened its grip on my heart.

Okay...