Chapter 23

"Sam, please let me in" Shouts John banging on your apartment door and you shake your head trying not to let him hear that you were crying.

"Go away John I don't care what you have to say" You shout back and even you can hear your voice crack.

"Come on Sami, let me explain" He says still knocking relentlessly as he had been for the last ten minutes.

"No John, you aren't allowed to call me that anymore" You say shaking in-between tears, "And I don't give a damn about your stupid explanations" You say looking across the room.

Your apartment was basically his, with his stuff just as common in this living room as your own, and it was exactly the same way at his place—possibly even there since he basically had no possessions. You shuddered at the thought of having to collect your stuff from there in a couple days, and the awkward moments when you returned his belongings to him.

"You know Sam, I didn't want to do this" He sighs and you hear a distinctive jingle, "But I still have my key" He says.

Realizing what he is doing you immediately propel yourself off the couch and towards the door but it is already too late. He is opening the door and you all you can do is lamely try and stop the door from opening even though it's already open enough for him to enter the apartment.

Once you realize he is inside you try and push him out of the apartment, shouting that he had no right to force his way in but he wouldn't budge. He stays still as you yell about him invading your privacy and looks down at you sadly.

"Samantha please calm down" He says steadying you by placing his hands on your shoulders, "Let me explain"

You begrudging stop yelling but move away from his grip and grumble, "Don't touch me"

"Sam, the first thing you should know is that I wasn't on the phone with Milla during any of my tour" He starts out and you snort, annoyed at his beginning his apology with a lie.

"Please John. Don't even try" You sneer.

"Sam, I honestly wasn't. Do you think I would lie to you after all this" He says raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know what to think anymore" You say and then realizing how overdramatic you sound quickly add, "If that's actually true why didn't you tell me back at the studio?"

"You were practically flying out the door, there wasn't time" He says weakly.

"Bullshit, both you and I know there was time" you reply.

"Ok, Sam this was supposed to be a surprise but if it's what it takes to get you to believe me I guess I will have to tell you" He says looking defeated.

"What?" you ask curious in spite of your still burning anger at John.

"During that tour I was on the phone with your aunt. I stole her number from your address book and I've been planning a trip with her" He says smiling up at you.

"What the fuck? You yell, sounding disgusted but mostly just confused.

"We're a planning a trip for you, your aunt, uncle, cousin and I " He says, calming you down significantly and you see that he's biting back a laugh at your reaction.

"You're always saying that you want to get your Aunt and Uncle something special to thank them for raising you. I thought for Christmas I would get you a trip to Mexico to share with you the people who raised you. It was a present and was supposed to be a surprise. She was helping me plan it, that's why we've been on the phone so much" He says and you look up at him, a little embarrassed at how you were reacting earlier.

"Oh," You say sounding somewhat dazed, "That's all?"

"Yep" He says, "And Sam, do me a favor. Don't mention to your aunt that you know—she really wants it to be a surprise" He says and you nod.

"John" You say starting an apology for your actions, "I'm really sorry I suspected that thing about you and Milla. It's just that you've been acting sort of distant lately—and I guess now I know why— but before I didn't and I was paranoid and she's a model so much prettier than me-" You say but he hushes you by putting a finger to your lips.

"Sami don't say that. You're the most beautiful woman I know, I don't even think about whether she's pretty or not when I'm around her" He says wrapping his arms around you and you relax into the familiar contours of his body, "And I'm sorry for even giving you a reason to even suspect that" He soothes, kissing the top of your head.

"No babe you don't have to be sorry" You giggle snuggling closer into him, "I just need to work on keeping my sanity"

"So we're good?" He asks.

"We're more than good" You say kissing him, glad beyond belief that the nightmarish misunderstanding was over.