Chapter 43

I hope you guys like this chapter! One of the main inspirations for the milla twist of the story was reading the lyrics to "Fallout" towards the beginning of writing this story. ❤️

You and John walk into the control room of the tiny studio John was renting out to record his forthcoming solo album. Though he was building a studio in your new house, it wasn't finished yet and you had decided that you wouldn't move in until the construction was done.

"Hey John," Says Jimmy, the guy mixing the record, "And of course the lovely Sam" he adds with a wink and you back smile at him.

"Hi Jimmy" Says John, waving in greeting and you mimic him.

"Hi Jimmy" You say with the same wave and John rolls his eyes as you and Jimmy laugh childishly.

"Do you two wanna hear that song, Invisible Movement? I did a rough mix last night after John finished up, it's obviously not done but I want you to hear it" He says and John replies eagerly,

"Yes, yeah! You know how excited I was about that one!" John says and you smile as you watch him.

Jimmy presses a series of buttons and the song comes out of some speakers attached to the console.

"Holy crap!" Says John, an excited smile spreading across his face.

"Doesn't it sound great?" Asks Jimmy with a confident smile.

"Yeah, it really does, it sounds amazingly good!" John says and then suddenly turns to you, "What do you think Sam?"

"It sounds amazing John honestly, I love it!" You exclaim and he lifts you up and twirls you around, planting a kiss on your cheek before setting you back on the ground.

"Really?" He asks on more time to confirm you weren't just playing the part of polite, supportive girlfriend.

"Absolutely. I love the lyrics, I love hearing your lyrics and your voice... it's all so interesting to me" You say and he laughs.

"I'm glad Sami" He says wrapping an arm around your shoulder.

"Hey John, you want to work on the synth for With No One?" Asks Jimmy.

"Sure," Says John and then he pulls a notebook out of his bag and flips through it. He reads over whatever was on the page intently, humming to himself as he goes.

"Ok, got it" He closes his notebook and prepares to put it back in his backpack before suddenly stopping, "Sam, do you wanna ready the lyrics for this song?" He asks flipping back open to the page.

"Really?" You ask excitedly. You had always wanted to look inside the notebook, but never asked for fear of intruding.

"Yeah, you said you liked listening to my lyrics, I want you to read and critique them now" He says and you readily grab the notebook out of John's hand.

"Thanks so much for trusting me with this!" You say happily.

"Ok, we're going to go in, I'll be out in twenty minutes or a half hour ok? Don't run away with the notebook and sell it to Rolling Stone or anything" He teases.

"Oh man, you figured out my secret plan" You reply sarcastically as he and Jimmy walked into the studio and out of the control room.

You sat on the couch and read the lyrics over and over and over to yourself.

Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

It was so beautiful to you, so deep that it fascinated you and you try to piece together the puzzle that was this collection of words, however the more you thought about it the more you realized they didn't always need to be found out, maybe that wasn't what John wanted. Maybe he just wanted you to hear them and connect to them in your own way, not try to figure out exactly what he was thinking.