58. The Sacrifices

We were just around the corner from the dorms. Lee stopped and looked at us quickly. He was so against us doing this.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Lee asked, one more time.

"What do we have to lose?" I said.

"Your lives." Lee said.

"Nah, I'm too stubborn to die."

Lee rolled his eyes at me and looked at Jasper. He had a pleading look in his eyes, as if begging us to change our minds.

"You know my answer." Jasper said.

Lee sighed, "okay."

"Wait." I said.

Lee stepped back and I turned to face one of the cameras. I tapped my heart with two fingers and mouthed the words, I love you. I smiled and turned back to Lee.

"Okay, I'm ready." I said.

He turned us and gripped the back of our shirts, pushing us forward. I almost fell at the sudden movement but regained my balance. As I waited for Lee to let us in, my eyes caught sight of Finn standing beside him.

"Don't do it," Finn pleaded.

"I have to save my people." I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"Who are you talking to?" Jasper whispered.

I ignored Jasper and kept my eyes trained on Finn. He gave me one last look, his expression mirroring the one Lee had on his face just moments before. There wasn't enough time to explain myself to him, but I wanted him to know that I wasn't doing this to be reckless. The last week I've felt like I couldn't save anyone, and all I was doing was failing. I couldn't help the people in Tondc, and that nearly broke me. I had to save my people. I had to know that I was helping someone.

"I can't fail again," I whispered.

The door unlocked, and Lee grabbed us, dragging me away from Finn. When I turned to face the room, I was horrified to see Abby laying on the table. It took everything in me not to run over to her and hold her hand. The rest of the room was filled, and my people were chained to the stone wall. They looked terrified when they saw me.

"Well look who we have here," Cage's menacing voice bounced off the walls..

My eyes turned to slits as I stared at him. A smug expression crossed his face when his eyes landed on me.

"Harley James. What a great surprise." He said, taking steps towards me. He cupped my chin, making me unable to move. A grin made its way onto his face. "Put the boy on the wall and take the mother off the table. I'm gonna show those two up there what I can do to their leader."

He pushed me forward but I didn't go obediently.

I swung around, using my hands to knock Cage in the face. He wasn't expecting it and tumbled to the ground. Guards came running at me. I brought my leg up and kicked a guard in the gut, sending him backwards.

I was grabbed from behind. I stomped my foot down hard on the guards foot. He loosened his grip slightly. I twisted out of his reach and kicked him in his special place, making him crouch over in pain. I reached into my boot and pulled out the dagger, swinging at the next guard and cutting his chest. He cried out in pain and I stabbed the dagger into his shoulder.