II. Operation 'Klance'

"Come in, Space Dad, can you hear me?"

"Yes, Pidge, for the last time, I can hear you." Shiro's exasperated reply buzzed from Pidge's homemade headset. A couple weeks back, her and Coran had created some new implants for the helmets, in case they were needed, but Pidge had found another great way to use them.
"Sorry. I'm just excited. Hunk, you in place? Allura?"

"I'm good." Hunk's reply was shaking with anticipation. "I can't believe my best friend has a crush on his, and I quote, 'mortal mullet enemy', and didn't even tell me!"

"Oh, Hunk." Allura's calming laugh cracked over the intercom. "He would've told you sooner or later." After about ten seconds of silence, she piped up again as she saw Keith and Lance, through the computer screen, walk out of their rooms and meet up down the hall. "They're on the move, paladins! Get down, Hunk! And Shiro," she said, suddenly tuning in a more concentrated tone, "turn the switch only when I say to, okay? And remember, stay away from the left quad. It's full of windows. Pidge, Hunk, you two make for a lookout squad. We cannot have either of those boys seeing or doing anything, you hear me? Only do what you're supposed to when I say to." Pidge imagined her pointing her fingers towards the side of her earbud. "Operation 'Klance' is a go!" She cheered, watching the three paladins sprint into action, as she stood in the control room, looming over the security system's footage.

Pidge slid across the floor gracefully, picking herself up to her feet and ducking back behind a wall as Keith and Lance, walking together to the training room, came around the corner.
"That was awfully close, Pidge." Allura's warning buzzed over her intercom as the green paladin breathed heavily. "Be careful!"
Pidge winced, inwardly apologizing, and raced around the wall that the red and blue paladins had just cut through. Hunk stood at the end of the hallway, and Pidge threw herself across the floor, trying not to be seen from the large doorway that lit the hall, the one that Keith and Lance had just entered through.
"Hunk, Pidge," Allura's voice credited over the 'com system."Shiro is soon to be approaching the left quad. There's no way to avoid the windows, unfortunately, and we overlooked that in our plan. Keith and Lance are facing that wall, talking, and they haven't started training yet. You two need to set a distraction on the opposite side so that Shiro can pass the windows undetected." She paused for a second, squinting at the screen. "There should be a pile of old crates that supplies came in, for long-term repair. Try to use those to your advantage."
"On it princess." Pidge chirped, smiling to Hunk.
"And don't get caught!"

Keith stood against the back of the wall covered in bright windows, watching the rays of the Arusian sun as they hit Lance's face. Ok, it wasn't as creepy as it sounded, but it intrigued Keith as he talked to Lance how attentive the blue paladin was. He had always considered Lance to be a nuisance, and when they first met, all he did was get in the way. As time went by, and Voltron became stronger and more powerful, Keith and Lance had grown close, talking often and laughing rather than fighting.
Looking now, Keith never realized that Lance's eyes were so heavily pigmented in blue. As he leaned closer to look at the small oceans, Lance looked at him strangely.
"What? Is there something on my face?" He said, obviously growing hot.
"Lance... your eyes are so cool... they're like small oceans! Are you wearing contacts?!"
At the compliment, Lance relaxed and grinned, throwing his hands up in the air. "Nope. These are the real deal. Cool right? I'm the only one in my family with such blue ones, so I guess that explains the lion.."
Both boys laughed hysterically, not exactly at the words Lance said, but at the situation itself, and after a few moments of crying out in laughter, Keith and Lance calmed down.
"I don't really want to train. Let's just chill." Lance finally said, leaning against the silhouetted left wall with his leg balancing against the frame. "Me too." Keith agreed. "Sometimes it's good to just.. chill, I guess."
Lance threw Keith a soft smile, and Keith felt a sudden knot in his stomach. Damn, Lance is cute. He hadn't always noticed Lance's soft brown hair, tan skin and bright freckles radiating off his face. His bright blue eyes stood out quite incredulously, and his toothy grin made the situation all the more worthwhile. Feeling his face grow hot, he turned on his heels and slowly walked around the room, facing away from Lance, trying to look interested in the architecture, when really he was only interested in getting the red off his cheeks.