XXIX. When Pressure Builds

Everyone else had gone to their hangars, but Lance and Keith remained.

"Lance." The red paladin breathed. "Please, please don't get captured by aliens and try to shoot yourself in front of me."

"It won't happen this time. I promise."

"It better not."

He smirked.
"I love you."

Keith frowned suddenly. "Don't throw that around."

"What?"

"Saying 'I love you'. We're not dating, Lance McClain."

"I know-"

"And I think, for the time being, we're both under too much pressure and too unstable to have a relationship." He put his hand over Lance's mouth. "Don't try to deny it. You know I'm right."

"So that's how you feel now?"

"Its always been in the back of my head."

Lance grabbed Keith's hand.
"This isn't some stupid fling, Kogane." He sighed.
"I know. We've been through a lot. I know sometimes we don't get along. That's what people do for love."

"We're not in love! It's like middle school! You get a crush, your friends set it up, and where does it go? Nowhere. You've given me a peck on the lips twice, Lance, twice-" Keith gritted his teeth. "- and you expect me to tell you that I love you and pretend like we're in a relationship?!"

"Keith-"

"That's not how it works."

"Keith. Come on."

"If you can't even accept me for being Galran until I kiss you, then you obviously don't love me that much."

Lance threw his hands up.
"What's gotten into you?! You were perfectly fine with me telling you I loved you before!"

"Well, now we're going on a mission, Lance. Now we're doing the things Voltron was made for. And I don't want to get attached, because I don't want to see you get hurt again." He closed his eyes and laughed sadly.
"I can't see you like last time again. It hurts, Lance. It hurts too much."

The blue paladin looked down at the floor.
"Don't cry, Keith. We're going together."

"I'm not crying!" Keith threw his head back. "I'm sorry, Lance. But I just don't feel like this is going to last."

"Then let's enjoy it until it doesn't."

"You can't-"

"Samurai, go out with me."

Keith held his breath.
"What?"

"Go out with me." Lance repeated. "You said I can't tell you I loved you until it was real. Here it is. Be my boyfriend."

"What if we get sick of each other? We live together."

"Are you sick of me right now?"

Keith held in a grin.
"No."

"There you go."

Keith paused.
"I sweat a lot."

"You smell pretty good."

"I sleep with my shoes on."

"Of course you do."

"Sometimes, I drink straight out of the milk carton."

"Don't we all?"

"Lance! Gross!"

Lance laughed, and stepped closer to Keith, looking down softly at his face.
"Please."

"Fine. I'll go out with you. As long as nobody knows. Keep your big mouth shut."

"Hey!"

"You deserve it." Keith pressed his nose to Lance's.

"I love you."

"Lance!"

"What?" Lance pretended to pout. "Does that make you flustered? Aw, I'm so sorry." He stepped away from Keith and danced around the shorter boy, chanting the three words over and over again.

"I love you I love you I love you I-"

Keith laughed. "Stop!"

"I. Love. You." Lance grinned, pointing to Keith after every word.

Keith stepped towards the door.
"Stay safe, McClain."

"Will do, Samurai."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
<3
I was thinking more of the logic behind klance and how it would actually be, which would probably be a lot of stress, like if they broke up,  etc., so I wanted to put something in before the angst begins.