XIX. An Iris of Gold

After saying a rushed goodnight to Lance, Keith stumbled through the starlit hallways of the Altean ship as quietly as he could, trying not to wake anyone as he closed the door of his room and fumbled with the lock.
He ran to the bathroom, turning on the sink and washing his face vigorously.
When he looked up, golden specks flickered bright in his eyes.
He breathed heavily, unable to swallow.
The longer he looked, the more he noticed how his ears looked a little more pointed, his hair fluffier.
Almost a shade of purple.
He began to breathe a little faster, staring at himself in the dim reflection of the mirror and rubbing his eyes, as if the chemicals in his fingers could rid the gold that traced his iris. He rolled up his sleeves, and dark purple fur dove deep into his skin. The more he searched, the more he believed.
He was Galra.
He'd know it too, all along.
But he'd never told anyone.
It's for the better I keep this to myself. Keith told his reflection. None of the paladins need more stress then they already have.
The red paladin leaned in the wall and drifted to the ground, curling his knees and putting his head in his hands.

He heard his bedroom door open, and his head swerved up in panic.
Before he could get up to lock the bathroom door, it swung open.

"Keith? You forgot your-"
Lance stood at the door, suddenly staring at Keith's purple ears and golden eyes in shock.

Without saying a word, the blue paladin dropped Keith's jacket onto the hard tile and backed out of the bathroom, hitting the wall with his shoulder as he tried to get away. He looked back a few times, worry and fear burning in his eyes, before running out of Keith's room, only looking back once.

Before Keith could say anything, Lance was gone.

The red paladin sat on his knees in silence.
I just ruined everything.
Tears began to roll down his cheeks.
Everything. Gone.
He tried to calm down, but the tears kept coming. Soon, he was gasping for air, salt fresh on his tongue.
Keith pulled his hand up to his ears, breathing heavily as he touched the soft fur that was there instead.
He pulled it away, and threw his hand over his face, about to curl back up into his knees when he saw a hand, reached out to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
It's not the best (or the longest), but I wanted to get something out for you guys before Saturday. Sorry it's been so long, I've been going through some stuff, but it's all good for now. Thanks for all the support!