XXV. Klance

That night, Keith got fed up.
He needed to talk to Lance.
He couldn't sleep at night, knowing that the blue paladin hated him.
He stared at the ceiling before pulling his phone from the charger on his bedside table.
The clock on his home screen read 3:24 am, Earth time.

Keith: can we talk

No answer.
Keith held his breath.

Keith: observatory

The red paladin sighed shakily, pulling the comforter off his bed, and standing up, stretching, and heading toward the door. He didn't care how be looked anymore. He'd purposely broken his own mirror yesterday, throwing his helmet at it, too afraid to see the yellow that flickered in his eyes every night.
None of that mattered anymore, because no one trusted him.
But Keith didn't blame them.

He walked quietly down the hallways, the comforter around his body shimmered bright blue, light casted by the long walls of the futuristic castle.
When the sliding door of the observatory opened, Keith nearly jumped.
A tall silhouette loomed by the large window in the farthest side of the room.
The red paladin smiled.

He slowly walked to the window, stopping next to Lance, gazing out into the galactic sky that they stood before. The bright stars illuminated Lance's face dimly, and Keith could see the freckles that painted his nose.

"Hey."

Lance said nothing.

"Lance?"

No answer.

"Hello?"

The blue paladin watched out the window.

Keith grew frustrated. "Why did you even come
if you were just going to ignore me?!" He growled. "I actually had some faith that you'd forgive me and we could fix this."

"Fix this?! How do you fix this!?" Lance turned to Keith suddenly, glaring at him coldly. "You can't just fix who you are!" He paused. "...what you are."

"Fuck off!" Keith hissed. "I can't help that I'm Galra! I'm trying to get through this, but you're just making this about yourself."

Keith expected retaliation, but Lance looked over, utter defeat shining in his eyes.
"I know. I'm sorry. Seriously." He put his hand to his face. "I'm a jerk, dude. I'm so sorry."

The red paladin nodded slowly, surprised.
"..me too."

They both stared out the window, side by side, taking in the apologies. Keith glanced over go Lance, but turned away quickly when he saw how the blue in the galaxies reflected off his eyes. His features sharpened in the light, his nose poking from his face and hair.

Breathtaking.
Lance was breathtaking.

"Hey.. Lance?"

"What?"

Before he could say anything else, Keith buried Lance in a hug.
"I'm really, really sorry for not telling you about this."

"I should be apologizing." Lance whispered, wrapping Keith in his arms. He placed his chin on Keith's head.

"You already did, stupid."

"Yeah, I know, but I never hurts go do it twice."

"You're really shitty, you know that?"

Lance chuckled.
"That's why you love me."

"For sure."

Lance pulled away to look at Keith, but gasped and pulled away as soon as he did. The regret was clear on his face, like he didn't mean to pull so harshly.

"What?"

Lance blinked. "Nothing."

"Is there something on my face?"

"..your eyes. They're gold."

Keith slammed his eyes shut.
"Do you think I really need you to point that out right now?!"

"No, but-"

"I've been going through so much-" Keith gritted his teeth. "-shit right now, and I don't need you pointing out what's wrong with me!"

"I never said it was wrong! There's nothing wrong with you!"

"Oh no, your friend is Galra! That must suck for you!" Keith said sarcastically, not listening to Lance. "Who cares that he's literally transforming into an enemy in front of himself, falling apart from the inside out! His poor friends! That-"

Before he could finish speaking, Lance grabbed his face and put it against his.
They kissed.

"I never said it was bad." Lance breathed, pulling away. "And trust me. You'll never let yourself fall apart."
He backed towards the door, grinning.

"Goodnight, Keith. I love you."

Keith was frozen in place, mind whirling, but only one phrase could come from his mouth.

"I love you too."
And the blue paladin was gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the wait! I've been SO busy with school, but today was the official first day of summer for me 🌻 I hope this was worth the wait, and no, this isn't the end. I'm going to start having a posting deadline of once every two or three days for this story. Thanks for all the support! Sorry for abandoning y'all <3
P.S. This song is incredible, I feel like it suits Klance perfectly :)