VI. The Truth is Ineludible

"I don't understand." Shiro shook his head, oblivious to what the princess was saying to him. She rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath, before directing her eyes back to Shiro.
"All you have to do," she started angrily, "is talk to Lance. Don't say anything directly about Keith, just... just bring up that 'falling for other paladins' case that you told the group not too long ago." She laughed. "Just try to get something out of him, and we will get the audio." Allura turned, dismissing him with a wave over her shoulder. "Good luck!" She called out, before leaving him alone in front of Lance's bedroom door. Sighing, and remembering the dull plan, he slowly turned towards the boys closed door and knocked, negative thoughts invading his head.
Lance is going to hate me.

"Lance, come sit." Shiro waved towards him, gesturing towards the chair across from him in the dining room, the only room in the Altean castle with perfect audio systems. [a/n: ;))]
Looking on nervously, Lance stood frozen in the doorframe. "What do you want?" He said, seemingly on edge.
Shiro smiled heartwarmingly. "Just talk to me. I've been taking time out of my training to get to know all of the paladins better. You are not the only one. Now, come sit." Reluctantly, Lance plopped down into the comfy chair, propping his elbow against the arm.
Shiro folded his hands, remembering his goal, and he glanced up at the camera, knowing that on the opposite side of it, Pidge, Hunk, and Allura tuned in to the blue and black paladin's conversation. "So, Lance," he said, training his eyes to drag away from the camera and focus on the boy across from him. "How is everything? Anything bothering you?" When Lance looked unsure, Shiro tried to save his point. "I just want to get to know you, Lance, and again, I'm doing this to all the paladins." Sighing, Lance reluctantly talked. "I'm good." Was all he said simply, clearly scared to say anything else. Shiro didn't blame him. If that was him in Lance's situation, he would be just as frightened and confused.
"Well," Shiro started. "It's okay to be, confused, you know. Feelings are confusing." Before Lance could leave, Shiro put a reassuring hand over Lance's resting hand. "Just talk to me, Lance. You know I'm not on their side, I'm just worried for you and Keith's relationship, and for Voltron." Lance brightened, feeling a little safer knowing that he wasn't working for Pidge and Allura, and decided that spending some time talking to Shiro might not be a bad idea.
"Um.. well.. I don't really know what to do." He started, getting into the topic. "Keith's confusing me. One minute all we do is argue, and the next, he kisses me!" Shiro listened intently, looking at the security camera. ".. I don't understand any of it. I just need Pidge to leave me alone. She's ruining everything, and I know she means well, but it's not helping. She's just going to scare Keith away." He paused to look at Shiro. "Pidge was the first one I told, though. It was right before Keith came in and asked me if I wanted to train, and she was supportive, even if she did make fun of me. And then-" Shiro intervened. "Wait. So do you.. like.. Keith?" The words came off his tongue awkwardly. He never wanted to say words like that to Lance; it was unnatural.
"Yes. I do. A lot more than I thought, too." Shiro swore, that if he listened closely, he could hear Pidge, Allura and Hunk's screeches from behind the camera. Surprised, Shiro's eyes widened. "Really? So you enjoyed the kiss?"
Lance looked miserable, and raised an eyebrow. "Duh. He said he wanted to stay friends for now, though, which I can completely understand and relate to. I don't want a relationship right now." He smiled. "Just.. crushing friends.. maybe? I don't know." He said, shaking his head, trying to get the grin off his face.
Seeing Lance this happy made Shiro content. He hadn't seen him in this state since they had gone into the orbit of Earth. Even though they didn't go down into the atmosphere, Lance had never been happier, and he cried the whole way back. Shiro decided that maybe, just maybe, 'Klance' was a good idea.

Send to: Operation Klance
Pidge: good job Shiro
Pidge: go get Keith
Shiro: noo way I'm doing that again
Allura: PLEASE
Hunk: PLEEEASEEEEEEEE
Shiro: I hate you guys
Pidge: YAYAYAYAY THANKS DAD
Hunk: DAD OF THE YEAR
Allura: Yay!!
Shiro: bye
[Shiro went offline]

Keith slouched in his chair, feet up on the table, expecting the lecture he was about to receive from Shiro. Before the black paladin could speak, Keith silenced him with a finger to his lips.
"I just saw Lance leave this room. Nice try."
Shiro wasn't fazed, and tried to keep his voice steady, looking towards the security cam.
"Did you see Pidge and Hunk leave, too? They were all here." Keith wasn't convinced, so Shiro evaluated. "I'm calling each paladin in here, Keith." He gently explained. "I want to get to know each paladin better. We actually don't know much about each other, and I figured it would be good for-" he stopped. "-relationships [a/n: smart dad] and for the sake of Voltron." Keith, knowing Shiro was probably right, kicked his feet off the table and straightened his shoulders. "Fine. I'll talk."
Shiro gave a heartwarming smile. "Good! How's everything, Keith? Anything you want to talk about?"
Keith glared at him. "No."
"Well.. okay.."
"It just... it bothers me! All of this-" he threw his arms around, gesturing to nothing in particular. "-it bothers me!"
Shiro paused, stricken by Keith's sudden outburst. "What do you mean?"
"I mean-" Keith said angrily. "-how you guys think you can just come in here and mess with me and Lance! Do you know how shitty that is?! Imagine if you had a 'crush' on someone-" he went on, quoting his words with his fingers. "- and all your friends ruined it! You know what?! I like Lance. I like Lance a lot." He paused for emphasis, breathing heavy. "Is that what you want?! Is that all the info you guys needed?! Now leave me the fuck alone!" He knocked his chair over, and stalked out, leaving Shiro to nothing but the clang of the chair on the tile.

[Sorry all my chapters are so short, I'll start writing longer ones soon. <3]