XI. Spontaneous

"Shiro!" Keith yelled as he was.. kicked?... fowards off the side of the hill. He could faintly hear the black paladin calling out for him on top of the hill, and time seemed to slow as he fell. He flailed in the air, and his bayard slipped out of his hand. He fumbled around with it before it slipped out of his fingers and fell straight onto the ground below. Keith fell almost right after it, landing on his shoulder, which twisted at an angle that was definitely not supposed to be healthy. He groaned, pulling himself up, and touched his back, wincing at the sting. His bayard was completely shattered, and he'd fallen on some of the glass, which managed to lodge itself in his skin.
Great.
But.. wait.
Standing at the bottom of the hill, he could almost make out a...
A flash of blue and white.
He gasped, and stumbled to his feet, ignoring the searing pain in his back and shoulder. When he tried to get up, though, he fell backwards and hit the grass (or whatever it was, this planet was weird) with a thud. Feeling the glass embedding deeper into his skin, he clenched his teeth and stood, regaining his balance.
Relax Keith. It was only some glass.
He looked away from the black and red remnants of his bayard on the ground, and, sighing, began to run as fast as he could, dodging branches and tree trunks, completely forgetting about Shiro and the red lion behind him.

"Keith! Keith!"
Shoulders tensing, Keith flipped the switch on his helmet and stopped behind a tree, staying out of sight.
"Hello?"
"Where the hell did you just go?" Pidge barked through her intercom. "You aren't on the map anymore. How... how did you just move like, twenty feet in a matter of a second?"

He shrugged, aware that Pidge couldn't see him. "I fell off the hill."

"No shit, sherlock. What happened, you just, I don't know, threw yourself off? Are you that risky or just stupid?"

"No idiot," Keith hissed. "I got pushed off."

"By Shiro?"

"Why would he do that?"

"I don't know, you can be pretty annoying."

"I hate you." Keith growled.

"Ah, you love me."

"There's no time for this, Pidge." He sighed. "I can see a fleet of Galra ships ahead of me, but I lost Shiro. Not to mention I shattered my bayard."

"You what?!"

"It slipped out of my hand when I fell!"

"Coran is gonna kill you!"

"Shut up! Just... what do I do?"

Keith could envision Pidge rolling her eyes. "I'll tell Hunk and Shiro where you are. Wait for them, and then I'll give you coordinates and stuff. I gotta think of what to do."

"Ok. Thanks."

"Also," she sighed. "Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?"

"I landed on my shoulder kinda funny, and I uh, fell on some of the glass from my bayard. Otherwise, I'm good."

"You're not, stupid. You're defenseless."

"Gee, thanks."

"Just wait for Shiro and Hunk. And be quiet. Galra have exceptional hearing, don't forget."

"How could I," Keith muttered before signing off, waiting for the other two paladins.
As soon as he flipped the switch on his helmet and looked behind him, he crashed into Hunk, sending them both stumbling, Keith hitting the ground for what seemed like the millionth time today.
"Ah, Keith!" Hunk half whispered, half yelled, before running to help him up. "There you are! Pidge was telling me earlier how you'd gone out of her map view! What happened?"
Keith gripped his shoulder and groaned. "I fell off that hill." He pointed to the large piece of land jutting up from the ground.
Hunk gasped. "That's a big fall, buddy. Are you hurt? Are you okay?"

"I landed on my shoulder and broke my bayard. I landed on some of the glass, too."

"What pushed you down?"

"I don't know. And I'm pretty sure Shiro's still up there, so we could be getting into some trouble."

"Wait.. you broke your bayard?!"

"It wasn't like I did it on purpose! It slipped out of my hand when I fell and hit the ground before I did!"

"How do you even break those things?! Aren't they like, immortal?"

"Nonliving things can't be immortal, Hunk."

"Oh, you know what I mean." He turned Keith around to look at his back.
"Ooh... Keith, there's glass all over your back... how did it cut through your suit?"

"Well, if it made a bayard, it must be strong, right?"

"Clearly not that strong, seeing as you totally shattered it."

"Hmph." He winced and closed his eyes as Hunk tried to pull out a shard of glass that was near his left shoulder.
"Ow! Stop!"

"Then stop moving!" Hunk said. "Sorry, but I gotta get this stuff out of you. Infections."

"Where's Shiro?" Keith said, trying to change the subject and distract himself from the pain.

"I thought he was with you," Hunk replied, focused on the shards stuck in Keith's skin. "Wasn't he in the red lion with you?"

"Yeah, and we were together until I fell off the hill. He's probably still up there with whatever pushed me."

"You sure you didn't just fall? No shame, it happens to everyone."

"No." Keith said firmly. "I definitely didn't fall."
Hunk wasn't listening; in fact, when Keith turned around, the yellow paladin was racing towards Shiro, who was limping towards them, metal arm still glowing purple.
"Shiro!" Keith called out, walking over to him. "What happened?"

"There's Galra on the hill. They pushed you off the side." He looked Keith up and down. "What wrong with your shoulder?"

"I landed on it." Keith shrugged the best he could with a twisted shoulder. "Are you okay, Shiro?"

Hunk nodded. "Why're you limping? I'm assuming you were attacked..."

"Yeah." Shiro smiled, pain evident in his eyes. "It's nothing I can't handle."

"Did you get any new about Lance?"

"No, but Coran and Allura just came over the intercom and told me that he is directly ahead of us, surrounded by a fleet. We gotta get to the lions."

"Too late for that." Hunk chided. "And you two can barely fight. You can't walk, and Keith doesn't have his bayard!" He pointed into the leaves. "It's easier to sneak through. Pidge and Coran will probably lead us through it."

Keith grinned. "Sounds good to me. Let's go get Lance."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I'm dragging this out but I've been brainstorming how they're gonna save LANCE *fist bump* but there aren't gonna be any deaths ok I'm not that mean
Also thank you for over 8k reads!! I love this fandom you guys are hilarious ♡