XVI. Building Castles in the Air

"This is crazy."
Keith sat on the ground next to Lance, as the blue paladin showed him galaxies through a simulator in the control room. Night had fallen, and everyone had retired to their rooms, except for Keith, who'd found Lance daydreaming of the milky way.
Blue light curled into the corners of the room, casting dark shadows. Small gray planets rotated in the air, and Keith reached out to touch one, his fingers pushing it, sending it flying in another direction before returning to its orbit.
Everytime Keith looked over, the brightness of Lance's eyes in the light made him turn away. He smiled, watching the blue paladin stare at the planets curiously.
"Do you do this every night?"
Lance sighed.
"Not every night. But it makes me happy, knowing that Earth is still intact and that my family is okay." He turned to Keith, his face shadowed in the reflective light of the floating planets and stars. "But I'm not homesick anymore."
Keith smiled. "Good."

"I get that this is my new family now. I don't like being all gushy, but-"

"Says the boy that kissed me."

"I-wha- hey, you kissed me!"

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

Keith chuckled, walking to the opposite side of the room, following the orbit of Arus. "I hate you."

"The feeling is mutual." Lance looked down.

Keith did his best not to stare, and focused his eyes back on the rotating planets that were floating around the room. Out of his peripheral vision, he saw Lance turn his back to him.
"Hey Keith.. can I ask you a question?"

"It depends."

Lance looked down at him, eyebrows furrowed. "What are we?"

Heating up, Keith snapped his eyes away.
"I-I don't know."

"What do you want to be?"

He thought for a minute.
All Keith wanted was right here.
With his friends, people who accept him, adventuring space and exploring the universe.
All he wanted was someone to love, people to look up to.
He wanted a family.

He wanted a little sister with a big attitude and a small frame, one that would tease him just like a sister should, but love him deep down.

He wished for a brother with perfect hugs, just big enough that he can be smothered by his embrace. The perfect bond.

He wanted a father figure, one so perfect and diligent that it was impossible not to look up to him. Somebody with high expectations who's able to believe in him.

Keith wanted a mother. A mother that perfectly matches her husband, beautiful and caring. She needed to be tough to take care of Keith, constantly filling his head with determination.

He wanted an uncle, with a bushy mustache and a funny personality. He'd be the light of the party, and family bonding goes to a whole new level when he's around.

Keith has exactly what he wants now.

He slowly looked up to see Lance's glowing eyes.
"I.. I have everything I want to be."

Lance smiled softly. "And what's that?"

"A family."
Lance swallowed.

"Hey."

"What?"

"Can.. can I tell you something?"

"S-sure."

Lance stood in front of Keith, staring down at him. For a moment, it was Keith and Lance, Lance and Keith.
Nothing else mattered.
And standing there, in the flickering holographic stars in the middle of the night, Keith realized something.

He was falling deep in love with Lance McClain.
And there was nothing he could do but get lost in his deep blue eyes.

They stared for a while longer.
"Lance.. I'm going t-to bed, okay?"

"Me too, me too." He turned to leave, smiling to himself.

"Wait." Keith grabbed his hand, and he turned around, staring at their wrists.

"Thank you for showing me this, Lance. It's... it's beautiful."

"O-of course."

"Goodnight."

"Night."
And as he left, as Keith watched him go, he swore he heard Lance mumbling.

"I love you."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
You want the fluff, I give the fluff
Enjoy this is short but it makes me screech
Thanks for almost 20k reads
I love u guys <3