Chapter 31 🎄

It is now the 23rd and I was at Joel's grandma's house helping her make tamales. "Como estas mija."

"Pues cansada pero ya que estoy aquí mucho más mejor."

"Me da alegría que dices eso. Y la bebé cómo está?"

"Pues ayer fue a la doctor y dijo que todo está perfecto." I said with a smile on my face.

"Está difícil que tienes a mentir que Joelito no es la papá verdad?"

"En verdad sí pero poco a poquito me estoy me acostumbrando." I told her.

"Ya pronto voy ser bisabuela!" She said with felicidad. I smiled at her reaction. Patty already accepted the fact that her second oldest son is going to be a father soon, she just needed time to process it. But she's glad that it's with me since I am responsible enough to handle it in my own. Anyways I continued to help Joel's grandma with the tamales.

.

It is now noche buena and everyone is gathered here. We did everything that we do every year. We eat tamales, we hang out play games, we sing, we drink hot chocolate before the presents, we wait after midnight to open the presents. I love this tradition we have, it is honestly the best one yet.

"You okay babe? You're just there staring at your hot chocolate." Joel said sitting next to me on the couch.

"Yea, everything is fine." I simply said.

"Fine doesn't mean fine. Is something bothering you?"  I shook my head no. "Look at me." He said. I didn't until he gently grabbed my chin making me face him. "Tell me what's wrong Zandra, I know way too long for me to tell that you are lying."

"Its my second Christmas without my Mom." I finally said.

"I know babe, it's hard. You want to go outside?" He asked. I nodded because I can't control myself from crying in front of people. "Let it out." He said once we were outside. I hugged him and just cried on his shoulder. Well on his chest since I'm shorter than him. "Hey is almost midnight, you have to choice to stay here or go with your Mom."

"You know the answer Joel." I mumbled in his chest.

"Of course I do. Now let's wipe those tears of yours and let me see those beautiful eyes." He said. I smiled and opened my eyes. "I love you." He said kissing me.

"I love you too."

"I love you more." Then he stated kissing my whole face.

"Come on lovebirds, time to open the presents!" Israel said. We then walked inside the house.

"We'll go with your mom right after we open the presents okay?" He said. I nodded in agreement. We all gathered around the Christmas tree and we were all handing out each others presents. I gave out gift cards to their favorite stores to Joel's Tias, tios, and his cousins. I gave Gabriel some games that he wanted, for Israel I gave him the shoes he wanted and Emmanuel I gave him a $100 gift card to his favorite store. I gave Joel's dad a fancy watch, Joel's grandma a picture frame of us two at Disneyland, and Patty a diamond necklace. That was my one year worth of saving my money. I love making them happy.

"Zandra you didn't." Patty said opting my gift to her.

"But I did." I said. She got up and hugged me really tightly. "Its mainly a thank you gift for helping me get through this though year."

"Zandra you didn't have to-"

"Pero quería." I smiled. She was so speechless. I hugged her really tightly.

"You're mom raised you right. You're really generous, caring, selfless, strong, patient, and a hero. I very sure you're mom is super  proud of you like I am."