Chapter Three

After leaving St. Mungo's, Augusta decided to treat the two teens to lunch, despite the fact that Kefira wasn't very hungry, only having breakfast a couple of hours before. But she wasn't about to protest spending some extra time with Neville. She had missed him a great deal over the summer as they were only able to communicate through letters. Sometimes Kefira had to admit, the wizarding world was missing out when it came to some pieces of technology. It wouldn't have killed any of them to get a house phone. However, the two managed with their letters back and forth, Kefira told Neville some of the things that she did with Bandile and his friends.  While she didn't bring it up right away, she wondered if Neville had kept to his promise about doing something exciting over the summer. 

Of course, she wasn't about to bring it up in front of Augusta, especially if Neville had done something far beyond what she expected. She didn't want him to get in trouble with his grandmother because that would certainly make things awkward.

"So, are you going to just spend the rest of the week with us?" Kefira asked him as she was presented a bowl of potato soup.

"What do you mean?" Neville asked.

"Well, we weren't expecting you until the end of the week but I don't see my parents protesting against you coming earlier," Kefira said. "Besides, we were going to kick off tonight with a bonfire and I know how you like those. Plus, I can give you your birthday present!"

Neville looked to his grandmother who had been quiet throughout their entire conversation. She was moving around the salad on her plate, obviously listening to what they were saying without wanting to appear being nosy.  It was quiet for a moment before she looked up and caught sight of both teenagers looking at her. 

Pushing her bowl away from her, she folded her hands together before looking at Neville. He seemed worried as if he was preparing himself for the no answer that was surely going to come from her. Kefira, on the other hand, looked quite hopeful and excited. She thought about saying no and keeping him home until the end of the week as planned. However, she knew what was going to happen. Neville normally kept to himself in his room, either reading the letters over or the book the girl had made for him years ago.

There was no sense in keeping him at home because it wasn't like they were going to interact much anyways. It was obvious the boy just wanted to spend his time among Kefira and the Walsh family. When the boy's great-uncle, Algie came to visit throughout the summer and on Neville's birthday, Neville shared all the letters and stories about Kefira's trip in South Africa. The two of them becoming much closer than Augusta ever expected. Especially since the man had dropped Neville out of the window as a baby.

"If it is alright with Kefira's parents you may go to the house early but that is only if they agree," Augusta answered finally.

Kefira cheered knowingly while Neville had a thankful smile on his face for his grandmother  being understanding. He had expected her to say no, but she pleasantly surprised him. It seemed over the years that she was becoming a bit softer in her nature and developing a small but soft spot for Kefira and her family. Although, she didn't have much of a say when it came to that because he considered Kefira to be the closest person to him. She understood him better than anyone else and he had shared a lot with her, so it wasn't like the girl was going away anytime soon. 

Once Neville and his grandmother finished up their lunch, Augusta thought it would be wise to bring the two back to the Walsh household, to get an actual answer from Kefira's parents and not just taking the girl's word for it. 

But it seemed Kefira knew her parents all too well as they readily agreed as soon as the question was brought up. In fact, there was no hesitation on their behalf and Alana agreed to get a room ready. Augusta decided to bring Neville back to their house for a brief moment so that the boy could collect his things. It didn't take him long at all, but she certainly surprised to see him carrying the very large plant that Algie had gotten the boy for his birthday.