Chapter Forty One

"Kefi, I think he's going to start to notice if you don't stop staring," Neville whispered to his girlfriend as they sat in Divination with Professor Firenze

"Kefi, I think he's going to start to notice if you don't stop staring," Neville whispered to his girlfriend as they sat in Divination with Professor Firenze. Kefira wasn't the only one who continued to stare at the centaur as it seemed all the students couldn't even be bothered to even blink. All the students were curious about Firenze after Dumbledore appointed him as the new Divination professor. However, the students were even more curious as to how Umbridge was going to retaliate to the situation. She had made it quite known that she wasn't fond of half-breeds and the centaur was becoming the poster child for everything she didn't like. But Dumbledore had also reminded her that she didn't hold as much authority as she thought she did.

They had moved classrooms as Firenze obviously couldn't climb the ladder to the old classroom, and Lavender and Parvati had made sure to rush to the room to get good seating at the front of the classroom so they could drool over Firenze. However, when they arrived the classroom had transformed to something completely unexpected. There was grass and dirt as the floor had been replaced with the forest floor, there were trees that Kefira wanted to so desperately climbed but she had to restrain herself from doing so.  With the help of Neville, who continued to hold the back of her robes every time she jumped up and made an attempt.

"I can't help him, he's so neat," Kefira whispered back to Neville as Firenze had taken it upon himself to sit with them on the ground, adjusting his four legs beneath him. Of course, the class certainly had for their questions for the professor, especially after he claimed that he could not teach them in the Forbidden Forest as he planned to because he had been banished from his herd.

Dean's question did not make the best first impression.

"Did Hagrid breed you, like the Thestrals?" the boy asked, but the look he received from Firenze along with the elbow to the ribs that Kefira gave him, caused him to quickly try and retract the question. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

It was too late as Firenze had taken offense to such a question. "Centaurs are not the servants or playthings of humans."

Kefira raised her hand to speak, leaving the rest of the class nervous as Firenze looked in her direction. "Yes?"

"I don't think Dean meant it in an offensive manner, Sir," Kefira told him. "You'll have to forgive us for being ignorant, but I think I speak for the majority of the class when I say that we don't know much about centaurs. There's a reason why you're teaching us, we're still learning. Rather than taking offense, you could just enlighten us. We already have to deal with a professor who talks to us like we're idiots, we don't want that experience with you."

Firenze stared at the girl who kept steady eye contact with him as the boys around her were completely wide-eyed.

"Your name?" He asked her.

"Kefira Walsh, although I think everyone just calls me Kefi at this point. Or "no, don't do that."

He didn't smile or laugh at her attempt at a joke, but his facial expression did seem to soften fo a brief second of time. "I'll be sure to remember that," he said before turning to the others to get the lesson underway.