Chapter Thirty Eight

It seemed the winter holidays had left Umbridge with an even more bitter soul, although Kefira would argue that the woman didn't have one and that's why she was part dementor. But Umbridge decided to load the students up with book work, just to make her point that they were not going to be doing any practicals anytime soon. The students of the D.A were becoming desperate, wondering when Harry was going to hold the next meeting, but apparently, he was extremely busy with his own problems, leaving them to wait and wait. It didn't even feel like Christmas had gone by as the castle felt so dreary and miserable after all the students returned. 

While Kefira wished the D.A meetings were more frequent but with Umbridge's homework, including the rest of the work loaded on the fifth years, she had little time to spare, especially with Bandile wanted her to continue her work. She had to be careful and Neville knew that word could not go around about what she was doing, which often left most of their conversations to be whispered about.

However, poor Dean, thought it was something else that the two were whispering about, ever since Kefira had witnessed the drawing in the back of his drawing pad. He was paranoid that she would say something, even though Seamus hadn't approached him about the matter, he was waiting for it, terrified of what was going to happen. He had to wait until Kefira was alone and approach her about keeping it quiet. 

He found the perfect opportunity when he found her walking through the corridor about to meet up with Neville in the Greenhouses. She had Trevor in her hands, talking to the toad about something, which she obviously found humorous as she laughed.

"Kefi!" He said snatching the back of her robes and pulling roughly. The girl nearly fell back onto the floor but Dean quickly caught.

"Easy there!" Kefira told him as she glanced up. "I know I've grown some over the years, Dean, but I'm still quite light on my feet, here. You about sent Trevor and me flying down the corridor."

"I'm sorry," Dean frowned helping her stand straight. "I just..I needed to talk to you and I was hoping that you would be alone."

The two teens peered down at the toad that stared up at them.

"Oh well, don't mind him," Kefira chuckled, " Trevor's not one to gossip. What's wrong?"

"It's about...that day when you saw what was in my drawing pad and...I just...I didn't want you to say-"

"Dean," Kefira's tone became stern as she looked him in the eye. Dean swore she looked ready to backhand him. "Honestly, you know me better to even think of such a thing. I would never in a million years say anything about that because it isn't in my place to do so."

Dean looked down at the floor, nodding his head in agreement, he knew she was right but his paranoid thoughts had gotten the best of him. Now he just felt silly for even approaching her on the subject at all, if she hadn't said anything Seamus by that point, chances were she was never going to say anything. 

Realizing that her tone had come across harshly, Kefira shifted Trevor into one hand and placed the free one on her friend's shoulder.

"You don't have to worry about me saying anything, Dean. But if it means anything, I think you should say something before it's too late. We both know that Seamus is a bit...dense when it comes to these things-"

"But what if he doesn't feel this way...he's my best friend, Kefi. Besides you and Neville...no offense to you two, but there's just something else there."

"No offense taken," she smiled. "I called it awhile back but you'll never know if you don't say something."

"It could ruin everything, Kefi. He just sees me as a best friend and if he learns that I feel differently, it could ruin everything. I don't want to lose him as a friend. I rather just keep it to myself than risk it."