Chapter Nine

The summer had ended far too quickly for the majority of Hogwarts students, the older ones, seemed to be dragging their feet when it came to heading towards King's Cross station

The summer had ended far too quickly for the majority of Hogwarts students, the older ones, seemed to be dragging their feet when it came to heading towards King's Cross station. Perhaps because it was rather chilly that morning and a warm, inviting bed seemed nicer, or maybe it was the fact, that no one wanted to deal with any yearly drama. The first years that were attending the school for the first time, all seemed to be bouncing around, laughing with their parents, and full of smiles. All those that had been witnesses to the events of last year in the castle, didn't seem very enthusiastic at all.

The fact that no answers had been given throughout the summer, left the students worried. There had been a supposed death but the student that was supposed to dead was still alive. Whispers and murmurs raced throughout the station as some had caught sight of Cedric Diggory. By the looks of his state, the older boy might as well have been a walking corpse. There was no light in his eyes, his boyish charm had vanished, leaving him with dark bags under his eyes and a miserable look on his face. 

The Daily Prophet had been quick to jump on the matter to cover everything up and try to make it go away. Most articles pertaining to what had happened in the Tournament were buried behind the front pages, along with wedding announcements and births. However, the articles that did discuss it only made it out to say that the two boys had been under plenty of stress during the tournament. They had been warned that it wasn't for the faint of heart and failed to listen. The maze was frightening and probably caused them to hallucinate. That's what they were blaming it all on...hallucinations and stress.

However, there were those that knew the truth, like Harry and Cedric and then there were those that doubted the word of the Ministry and The Daily Prophet. Among them was Kefira and it was mainly due to the influence that her Uncle Bandile had. At the end of the previous school year when she had returned home and explained the events, the man seemed quite concerned. Several times while they were in South Africa, the man had left her in the company of his friends while he tended to "some business." But he made it quite clear before Kefira went home that she had to prepare herself for something big. 

She wasn't sure what that was, but Bandile wouldn't give her any clean cut answer. He only asked that she trust him and allow him to help her in any way that he could. Naturally, she agreed, although she was still quite confused. But she was certain as she began her fifth year with her friends, that things would start to fall together and make sense or at least she hoped they would.

"Be careful, I tell you this every year and you still seem to be pushing it, but be careful," Cardel held his youngest close to him. Kefira had already escaped her mother's hug and the goodbyes from her sister, but her father had asked for a moment together.

"Oh come on, Dad, you know I'll be fine. I've done well this far, haven't I?" Kefira glanced up at him as he released his hold.

"Yes, I know, but...I worry about you. I don't care what you say about all the safety precautions and such, I still worry about you. You're always looking out for others and that's a wonderful thing, but you need to look out for yourself as well. I don't understand everything that is going on in the other half of your world, but I'll be damned if I let anything happen to you. I don't like the air that's been going on. I've read some of the papers that Loxie steals and brings home. I don't know what you're dealing with but I don't like it."