Chapter One Hundred Two

Kefira surprised herself with actually being able to fall asleep after the events of the night before, but she was sure it had to do with the fact that Neville had spent the entire night beside her. He didn't sleep much, if at all. But he held Kefira extra close and made sure that any time that she stirred from her sleep that he soothed her back. He couldn't bring himself to actually sleep because of all the events that kept replaying over and over in his mind. The image of Dumbledore dead, just there on the grass before them. 

The image of what could have been if Kefira had actually been attacked further by Greyback. That's what kept him awake, seeing what could have happened, not only to Kefira but the rest of his friends if things had not turned out in their favour. He couldn't imagine how he would have felt if anyone had been extremely injured or worse. Luckily, with the exception of some injuries, everyone had made it through, that allowed him to rest somewhat. However, Neville knew the safe times were not going to last long. After all, the fact that Death Eaters had managed to infiltrate Hogwarts, which meant that the school was no longer consider safe grounds. 

What that meant for the student population and for the wizarding community, Neville wasn't sure. It was a dangerous situation as many people believed that their children would be safest at the school, but that was no longer the case. There was no telling who was going to take over the school, would it be McGonagall as she was the Deputy Headmistress? Would they even keep the school open as the Headmaster had died on the premises? Who was going to send their child back to the school after what had taken place? 

Millions of questions plagued Neville's mind and when the sun came up several hours later, he felt Kefira stir in his arms once more. Her hair had fallen on her face while she slept and as she moved around, Neville took the opportunity to move the curls out of her face as she opened her eyes. He couldn't describe how much it calmed him when he saw the familiar green gaze peer up at him.

"Good morning," he whispered, he put on a brave face, just for her as she met his gaze. However, while he smiled, Kefira didn't return it, her eyes just seemed to scan over his face for a few moments.

"All of that...all of that really happened last night, didn't it?" She asked him finally. "The attack and...and Dumbledore? Is he really dead?"

Neville swallowed as soon as he heard the sound of her voice crack, leaving him with his own developing lump in his throat. He quickly nodded, not wanting to believe it himself as he confirmed it for her.

"I'm afraid so."

She didn't start crying as he suspected that she might, death always seemed to be the one thing that brought Kefira to tears as she couldn't manage to just simply ignore it or fight through it. She couldn't fight death as it was stronger than anyone when it wanted to be. If Death arrived to claim a life, it was going to end with loss and Kefira had come to terms that she couldn't argue her way out of it and it was one problem she couldn't solve with a punch. 

Eventually, her eyes did appear a bit watery, but she quickly used the sleeve of her jumper to wipe them before any tears could fall.

"Well, that's that, isn't it?" She muttered. "I don't believe it, I can't believe it. All the things I've said in the past about Hogwarts, I know I question the teaching and some of the practices, but I never thought something like this would happen. How could this have happened, Nevs? I don't understand."

"We were all fooled, Kefi," Neville began, " it's really as simple as that. Dumbledore was fooled, just like the rest of us. Harry was right to think Draco was up to something because he was involved in all of this-"

"I don't think it was all in his own free will, Neville," Kefira said, bringing Neville to look at her in confusion. He didn't think that she would take to defending him so soon, especially after the scenario that had taken place that involved the boy and Professor Snape.