CHAPTER I

5 YEARS LATER

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"KATHERINE!" Jordan screamed and shook me. I opened my eyes groggily and asked, "What happened?"

Crossing her arms, she said, "You are an hour late for your work..."

I took a minute to process this information. Sitting up, I scratched my hair and yawned, "An hour late?"

Then, realisation hit me. Like a bomb.

I shouted, "AN HOUR LATE!"

Jordan looked at me comically and chuckled, "Well...no, I was kidding..."

I looked at her, furiously and cried, "Jordan why are you so determined on ruining my damn life?"

She laughed again and sat with me on the bed, "Well, you are going to be late if you aren't fucking getting up!" 

"Mommy what's fucking?" a tiny voice interrupted our conversation. I looked past Jordan, at my five year old son, Kyle. He rubbed his eyes and sat in my lap sweetly with those big brown questioning eyes.

I replied hesitatingly, "It's a bad word, Kyle..."

"So shall I forget it?" he asks.

"Yes," I answered while patting his head. Then, he gestured as if taking something out of his ear and throwing it aside and looked at me with a smile. I returned the smile and cuddled with him.

"Awwwwww..." Jordan drawled on. I looked at her with a grim smile and mouthed, "Language!"

She looked at me apologetically and mouthed a 'sorry'.

I looked at the clock, it was five minutes to seven. My shift starts at eight o' clock. I got up and lay Kyle on my pillow. Kyle, was the sweetest and most angelic thing that ever happened to me. He looked much like his father, Ace Kingman, the CEO of Kingman Industries. He was a kind of a bitter sweet blessing, for me. Bitter, because he reminded me of Ace and of my mistake of trusting him. It was like years of anger bottled up inside me, that I've never gotten a chance to take out-

"YOU WANNA SPEND WHAT? A LIFETIME THERE?" Jordan's voice came from my room. (I was in the bathroom).

"Coming!" I shouted.

Jordan was an aspiring makeup artist, my school friend and also my Dame in shining armour. After the hotel where I'd worked had known that I spent the night with one of their clients, they kicked me out with insufficient money. I roamed from one interview to another until I got these pregnancy symptoms. With whatever money I had remaining I took a pregnancy test and voila that idiot had gotten me pregnant. Then, I found Jordan. She helped me get a job and coping up with all the stress. Gradually, my situation stabilised, both financially and mentally. Since then, I am working as a waitress at this small restaurant/ bar. It isn't that good, but for Kyle's school and rent of this house, I got to work hard. So, I also have a work-from-home job. 

This results in chaos and pandemonium. I can't pay enough attention to Kyle and-

"KATHERINE!" Jordan shouted again.

God! This woman.

*** 

"Kyle, you ready?" I asked, putting on a coat.

"Yes mommy," he said adorably and strutted in the room. Putting on his shoes, he waved Jordan good bye.

"Bye!" I shouted as she hurried out the door. I could hear a faint 'bye' as the door shut. Then combing Kyle's hair, I asked, "Got your lunchbox?"

He nodded and asked, "Mommy, did you know that when hippos are upset their sweat turns red?"

I looked at him and replied, "That's great honey but if we don't get you to your class on time, your teacher may turn a hippo..."

He chuckled and swung his school bag round his arm. Then switching off the lights hurriedly, I locked the door.

***

"Hi Katherine!" 

I swung around to see Max standing there, waving at me. I slowed up and smiled, "Hey Max. How are you?"

"Fine. Just dropped Kyle to school?" he asked, still having the full dimples smile.

I nodded and asked conversationally, "So, off to work are you?"

He nodded and asked unsure, "Hey, so after work are you up for a coffee with me? Like a date?"

I looked at him, surprised. Max, is my newly found friend here. Putting emphasis on 'friend'. Since my mistake of letting Ace in I have no interest on going on a date with Max or as a matter of fact, anybody else. But seeing his cute face, I couldn't straight up deny his offer. So, pretending to check time, I say, "Hey, my shift starts in like three minutes. Catch up with you later?"

He nods at me as I hurry down the lane.

***

"Katherine! You are late by one minute, how do you explain this tardiness?" Madeline (my manager) asks me sternly.

Apologetically, I reply, "Ma'am, I ran into a friend. It won't happen again..."

She looks at me and sneers, "It better not, missy. Or you are kicked out of here!" She spits saliva on me (It's just the way she talks) and leaves from my booth.

Madeline, is my manager. She is stern and doesn't even accept even a second tardiness. Also she is heartless, as fuck.

I wrap an apron as I wave at the long and slim girl rushing towards me, Letty. 

"Hey Letty, finally got the dress you wanted?" I ask on seeing her smiling face.

She nods vigorously and squeals, "Mom finally agreed to it! I am so happy!" 

I laugh at her but instantly stop as I see Madeline eyeing both  of us, suspiciously. We both scramble to work as she comes towards us.

*** 

"Hey Kath! The hot guy on booth nine is yours," Letty eyes the brown haired guy, whose back is up to me.

I replied, "Yes, just let me serve these guys!"

She nodded at me while I hurried to the group of five guys. As I came to stand in front of them, one of them whistled and said, "You know there should be a warning sign on my dick?"

Taken aback, I ask, "Excuse me?"

"Yeah, it should say 'choking hazard'!" he says and his friends laugh and eye me appreciatively. 

Impeccable flirting skills. Note the sarcasm.

I reply innocently, "Isn't that the sign they use for small things?"

All his friends look at me surprised, not expecting me to say that.

The guy Letty described as 'hot' chokes on his drink and tries to hide his laughter. I look up at him to see the one and only, Ace Kingman, straight from hell.

Why ME!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AH! I AM SO ORIGINAL. NOTE THE SARCASM.

PENN BADGLEY AS MAX SMITH.