CHAPTER XXVIII

ACE KINGMAN

"It's not as if we are running short of time," she answers steely.

Truth to be told, I just wanted to escape my life and live on a small isolated island with Katherine and Kyle. I didn't want to live the 'dark' times of my life again...the horror and sadness that crept within me when I recalled them was beyond words. And, I am not a wordless person anyways. 

The past day, staying without Katherine...the look of hurt, betrayal, anger and disappointment flashing on her face...I couldn't bring myself to apologise to her, ever. Knowing that I was the reason for her hurt and sufferings. I always am, right when she left me five years ago and now again.

I let her slip, always. 

I hurt her, always.

I lied to her, right from the start.

I do not deserve her, the sweet, soft, kind and forgiving woman sitting in front of me...I never ever deserved her, no matter how many times I would apologise or make up for it. But being the selfish person I am, I want her to be with me...wake up with me in the mornings and go to sleep in my arms at nights. Ironically, I feel safe and sound around her, sane. I couldn't even survive with her for a single day, restless at nights, snappy at mornings and annoyed in whole...imagining her being with someone else and raising Kyle with him...was just horrific...inconceivable.

As if my past couldn't ever catch up with me.

Is this what being in love feels like?

***

"True," I answered. She needs to know the truth, she needs to understand that I never meant to hurt her...I just wanted to escape the sorrow and desolation. 

Wrapping my arms around my body, trying to shield myself, I speak, "This happened before I met you...all of it...me marrying Kendall and everything...it started seven years ago..."

I finally look at her, her eyes betray no emotion, "We were three siblings...I had to sisters-Freya and..." her name was difficult to say, "Maisie," it sounded odd, her name seemed strange on my tongue, maybe because I had tried to forget her...

"Ace?," Katherine asked me, "The media, and everywhere else...it only says that you have only one sister-Freya..."

I smiled and replied, "I am getting there, Kathy. Freya was shy, introvert and the person who would always be immersed in books...we both were born with the business like minds, my dad used to say. Whereas, Maisie was the exact opposite of Freya...she was outgoing, bold and a born rebel..."

I smile as I remember her protesting at each and every thing, "Though she was also into books and maybe the only person in our family...beside my mum and dad to believe in 'love' and...this may sound absurd...but her motto was YOLO..."

"She used to shout this every time we used to be sad or unhappy for some reason..."

Katherine was listening to me attentively. Her feet crossed, her face looked troubled. 

I continued, "She was mum and dad's favourite, every time. When we were so caught up in impressing them, our teachers...she just used to be herself and still could be everyone's apple of their eye. But, she used to understand all of us very well. She was a great listener..."

I gulped as I started narrating the main part, "She fell in love with this guy...Michael, he was a cancer patient. Had like a year left to live. We thought that after his death, she would move on...but she didn't...she fell for him pretty hard...a few days after his death, her behaviour changed, she seemed lost, broken... we thought she would get better..."